General Steering Hum

Currently reading:
General Steering Hum

jungle skunk

I've only had this 1999 weekend 1.6 for 2 months but already I've had more big and niggley problems than any other car. Should have bought an Alfa!!;)

Just got back from work pulling onto drive and I hear a loud humming/ grinding which is coming from the steering. Slightest bit of pressure put on steering wheel it starts then stops as soon as you stop turning

Anyone got any ideas

Rob

Had a chance to look now and trans. fluid is very low. Don't know why- cant see any obvious leaks but I only have torch. Removed some of remaining fluid and it looks 'dirty' still got redish tinge but looks darker/cloudyer than new trans fluid I have.

The trans fluid I have is Castrol automatic TQ-D is this OK to mix with fluid in reservoir. The handbook says DEXRON II. But the Castrol stuff is DEXRON II-D.
Is the D important?

Can you help

Rob

that fluid will be fine to mix with Dexron II-E, Dexron II-D, Dexron II, Type A, Allison C-4, C-3, Caterpillar TO-2, Ford “CJ & H” fluids (inc M2C138-CJ and M2C166-H).

Thanks Jug. Added it before your reply after bit of research on web. I found a very small leak just behind passenger headlight area on union between flexi hose and metal pipework that runs in front of rad. (the transmission fluids own rad I suppose)

Take a look at the PAS fluid. it maybe a little low and causing the humming. Also check the PAS belt tension and condition as this can do it if its wrongly tensioned.

Andy.:)

Back