Technical Steering Column Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Steering Column Problem

pjp

I've had a clicking sound coming from the steering column for a while now - you can physically feel it through the throttle pedal as you turn it 45 degrees or so either way of straight ahead on slow corners.

Dealer checked it at the service and found the UJ was loose and was worn and subsequently replaced the entire column after speaking to fiat technical.

I got the car back and it's still doing it - It feels like something on the column is catching...anyone else had this or any ideas as to what it might be?

Cheers

Paul

Check that the centre console side trim on the drivers side is cliped in properly, they can come off and catch on the steering shaft uj below the pedals causing a clicking noise and steering to feel odd!!

MATTB1 said:
Check that the centre console side trim on the drivers side is cliped in properly, they can come off and catch on the steering shaft uj below the pedals causing a clicking noise and steering to feel odd!!

Thanks - I 'll look at that.

BTW steering feels fine - I just hear and feel the click through the pedals.

Paul

I've checked the steering column and the trim definitely isn't catching on it - on the selespeed cars theres a footrest that holds the trim securely clear of the UJ.

I've checked from the entry point in the floor up as far as I can reach and the column doesn't appear to foul on anything.

I'm lost for ideas now - I don't think the dealer is going to have a clue either!

Any genius on here with an idea ? The strange thing is it doesn't do it when the car is stationary, only on slow speed corners when the steering is 90 degrees either side of straight ahead - Help please !!!

Paul

My dealer informed me that there is some element of noise (like a faint clicking) from the steering wheel airbag wiring. This is in the three different stilos I have driven from different dealers- including my own. Apparently In order for the wheel to turn and not twist its airbag wiring it has a device like a BMX giro- the device that lets the handle bars spin without twisting the rear brake cables. Even on a bmx this isnt smooth. I havent taken it to bits to have a look but a bmx giro looks lke this http://www.cyclepath.ca/products/itm00032.htm

Big Black Stilo said:
My dealer informed me that there is some element of noise (like a faint clicking) from the steering wheel airbag wiring. This is in the three different stilos I have driven from different dealers- including my own. Apparently In order for the wheel to turn and not twist its airbag wiring it has a device like a BMX giro- the device that lets the handle bars spin without twisting the rear brake cables. Even on a bmx this isnt smooth. I havent taken it to bits to have a look but a bmx giro looks lke this http://www.cyclepath.ca/products/itm00032.htm
I could understand it if I could feel it through the steering, but I can't - it's through the throttle pedal !! - Personally I suspect the lower UJ, but that was replaced as part of the steering column replacment - perhaps I should try another Stilo and see if it does it too.

Paul

Steering Column Fixed

Problem fixed (y) All it needed was a load of grease around the mounting point for the brake pedal tube at the end near the throttle pedal.

God only knows why this is affected by the steering position, but definitely seems to have cured it.

Dealer has been really good - can thoroughly recommend them if you're looking for a decent dealer in Kent (little family business). After they replaced the steering column at Xmas I noticed that 2 of the 3 fixing points for the foot rest were broken when they had removed it - mentioned in passing that I wasn't very impressed and they said "Nor would I be" and promptly ordered a new part and replaced the damaged bit.

Paul

Back