General Steal of the decade...

Currently reading:
General Steal of the decade...

I think, to give a sense of 'scale' to talk of any issues: the Panda is a pretty simple modern car, but – like all modern cars – relies on a whole load of electronics to keep everything working. Many of the problems with cars these days, irrespective of brand, stem from these electronic systems being 'too clever' or 'too protective'. The 'basic' process of servicing (oil and filter changes) makes little difference to these :)

If @SB1500 is looking at a Panda as something 'simpler' and less likely to go wrong (or be less expensive when it does), then to be honest it is unlikely to be any better or worse than pretty well any other car out there. If the 4x4 is being looked at as being 'simple', it isn't, and has potentially more bits to fail than a 2WD version.

The 4x4 versions of the Panda, like most other 4x4s, have an extra layer of complexity: not only the obvious things like more driveshafts, differentials and mounting bushes, but also, an extra layer of electronic control. Through having extra features, such as disc brakes on the rear as opposed to the drums on other models, they also have higher servicing costs. The added weight (around 200kg more!) of the 4x4 system, coupled with lower first and second gears, mean they are less fuel efficient too, so running costs are (a little) higher.

For what it's worth, I've had four 4x4 Pandas since 2006. The oldest (a 2005 car with the 60hp 1.2 engine) was still going like clockwork when I traded it in after 105,000 miles, but was in need of a replacement propshaft centre bearing. I upgraded as I found an ex-demo 2013 75hp diesel 4x4 at a very good price. That 2013 car was brilliant and faultless in all its 67,000 miles. I only traded that in when a year-old, but only 2000 miles 2017 car with the winter pack popped up at a very reasonable price. That one was written off after a truck ran into the back of it seven weeks after I got it... and so I now have the 2018 car, which as well as the winter pack, also has a more powerful (95hp) MultuiJet which is also Euro6 compliant. At 46,000 miles, the only things ever done to that are three oil changes, new tyres a while back, and just this week, new brakes all round. None have been bought new, as that way someone else has already taken the depreciation hit. But, the latest was a four month old pre-reg with just four miles on it – so effectively 'as new' – but only cost me £13,500 instead of the list price (at the time) of £18000-ish.

Last edited:
Mine’s coming up on three years and has needed nothing but an annual service. Barely clocked 12000 miles in that time, however, so hard to form a real opinion of reliability. The next three years will be a better test. I’ve toyed with the idea of chucking it in against something else (particularly as I no longer need a 4x4), but to my surprise I’ve rather fallen for the daft little thing and can’t see anything I’d rather have. I had no love for Fiats previously, and bought it for very specific functional reason, but it’s proved to be such a charming car I’m happy to keep it for as long as it’s trouble-free.

I think, to give a sense of 'scale' to talk of any issues: the Panda is a pretty simple modern car, but – like all modern cars – relies on a whole load of electronics to keep everything working. Many of the problems with cars these days, irrespective of brand, stem from these electronic systems being 'too clever' or 'too protective'. The 'basic' process of servicing (oil and filter changes) makes little difference to these :)

If @SB1500 is looking at a Panda as something 'simpler' and less likely to go wrong (or be less expensive when it does), then to be honest it is unlikely to be any better or worse than pretty well any other car out there. If the 4x4 is being looked at as being 'simple', it isn't, and has potentially more bits to fail than a 2WD version.

The 4x4 versions of the Panda, like most other 4x4s, have an extra layer of complexity: not only the obvious things like more driveshafts, differentials and mounting bushes, but also, an extra layer of electronic control. Through having extra features, such as disc brakes on the rear as opposed to the drums on other models, they also have higher servicing costs. The added weight (around 200kg more!) of the 4x4 system, coupled with lower first and second gears, mean they are less fuel efficient too, so running costs are (a little) higher.

For what it's worth, I've had four 4x4 Pandas since 2006. The oldest (a 2005 car with the 60hp 1.2 engine) was still going like clockwork when I traded it in after 105,000 miles, but was in need of a replacement propshaft centre bearing. I upgraded as I found an ex-demo 2013 75hp diesel 4x4 at a very good price. That 2013 car was brilliant and faultless in all its 67,000 miles. I only traded that in when a year-old, but only 2000 miles 2017 car with the winter pack popped up at a very reasonable price. That one was written off after a truck ran into the back of it seven weeks after I got it... and so I now have the 2018 car, which as well as the winter pack, also has a more powerful (95hp) MultuiJet which is also Euro6 compliant. At 46,000 miles, the only things ever done to that are three oil changes, new tyres a while back, and just this week, new brakes all round. None have been bought new, as that way someone else has already taken the depreciation hit. But, the latest was a four month old pre-reg with just four miles on it – so effectively 'as new' – but only cost me £13,500 instead of the list price (at the time) of £18000-ish.
Same here, have always had at least 1 panda 4x4 since the eighties…
Everybody knows the MK1s and it’s out of the scope of here.
Have still got my 2005 ‘climbing’ although it’s now just a farm car, and apart from it being written off once (with a bad repair to rear 3/4 sill) has only ever had the centre bearing that’s been ‘out of the ordinary’. The 2009 cross, that’s now my daughters, had an ‘extra set’ of discs all round done under warranty, but since then, again, nothing more than service and consumable bits. The 2019 (bought early 2022) MK3 cross TA is, so far, all good
Yes, there are niggles, but that’s the same on all cars. There’s very few cars out there that I would lend my loyalty to, and that’s including other Fiat ‘products, but the panda 4x4 is a keeper and, so far, not had any major issues with any of them…unless we cycle right round to MK1s and their propensity to disintegrate, but then, I could work on every bit of those without resorting to a computer!

There are several active threads about 4WD Pandas with issues; the common factor is that 4WD specific parts are both seriously expensive and difficult to source.
After reading the problems with the 4x4 cars, I'd actively avoid any panda 4x4 if looking at cars.

After reading the problems with the 4x4 cars, I'd actively avoid any panda 4x4 if looking at cars.
Trekking/City Cross for you then - a halfway house to full-fat 4x4 (but be careful you don't buy a 4x4 in error - as we see from this thread!)

My 2018 Panda Cross 4x4 TwinAir has done over 46,000 miles since new and it's been absolutely faultless. All I've had done apart from regular servicing is a set of Goodyear Vector tyres, front brake discs and pads and that's it. It's been by far the most reliable car I've ever had - way more reliable than more expensive, exotic cars I've owned over the years. if you look after them, they will look after you. I'll be sad to see it go, but I wanted the new touchscreen model. My previous Panda 100hp was faultless too while in my ownership.

I'd urge some balance here "all" the problems? It happens on here that if someone has a 4x4 version they put it in the title line, the question may actually be related to "wheel size" (for example) I think probably the only real 4x4 recurring issue (again on here) is the failure of the propshaft centre bearing which is perhaps a once in the ownership cycle (although not an issue I have encountered in 85k miles).

For recurring issues see DMF, UniAir module, Blue and Me; none are unique to the 4x4cvarient.

The 4x4 is a fun drive and will give you an air of superiority in winter, off road or flood conditions, but it is a choice and one that gets you to pay 30GBP road tax.

I'd urge some balance here…
Couldn’t agree more. (And said so a few posts up :)

Apart from that propshaft bearing, all ‘the issues’ happen with all the Pandas - the dual mass flywheel being ‘the big one’. And in fact, many of ‘the issues’ are just as likely with any other make of car.

The very nature of a forum like this is that it will exaggerate issues… most of the time our cars are ‘just fine’, but we don’t tell ourselves that. It’s only when a problem occurs and we need help with it that it appears here. That doesn’t mean every car’s affected, just that the owner of one needs a bit of help.

I will add though that excise duty on any Panda (or other car) registered since 2018 will be much more than £30 - currently £165 I think and more in the first year.

Rotting rear suspension arm that cant be sourced would be my biggest concern.
Plus as said before, if you want 4x4, there are better cars for the job

the common factor is that 4WD specific parts are both seriously expensive and difficult to source.
I would dispute that comment. Really there are only two parts that are 4x4 specific: the propshaft (and its bearing), and the reinforced under tray/sump guard.

Yes, Fiat want and arm and a leg for a propshaft at the dealers (over £1600) - but they don't make it (its a GKN driveshaft). OEM propshafts are available from many suppliers for about £260 at present and are easy to remove and refit by a handful of bolts.

And the undertray - a hefty, complex pressing of steel reinforced by bars - is available for about £160 from Shop4 Parts and again easy to unbolt and refit. There have been reports here of them rusting away... my reply to that is so long as they are hosed down to remain free from mud and salt, they last pretty well. The handbook actually tells you to do this :)

The 4x4 has rear disc brakes, but these are the same brakes used on other Fiats (eg 500/Abarth) and readily available. The workshop time to replace is 1 hour (same as the fronts).

Suspension parts are different - longer springs and dampers - but not hard to obtain. What can be an issue is many of the online parts 'portal sites' (eg Autodoc) don't seem to know the difference and get things wrong. But go to Shop4Parts or buy over the counter at a reputable factor and you'll have no issues.

Everything else – for example the engine, electronics, brake parts, clutch and flywheel, Blue&Me unit (on pre-2017 cars) – are all the same as 2WD Pandas.

And how often does that happen? I don't recall seeing it mentioned here. Unlike the 2WD arms (which are a right angle of steel that collects mud and then go rusty (if not cleaned after winter), the 4x4 is a complete tube, much stronger and designed to last.

By the posts here, quite often!
I better take another look/search, as don't call ever reading one :)
Never had that problem with any of my four...

Edit: thorough search, can't find any ref to this...

Plenty of failed beams in 2WD, and discussion of replacement with parts from 4x4 as stronger…

Last edited:
Suspension parts are different - longer springs and dampers - but not hard to obtain. What can be an issue is many of the online parts 'portal sites' (eg Autodoc) don't seem to know the difference and get things wrong. But go to Shop4Parts or buy over the counter at a reputable factor and you'll have no issues.

Everything else – for example the engine, electronics, brake parts, clutch and flywheel, Blue&Me unit (on pre-2017 cars) – are all the same as 2WD Pandas.
Just on Autodoc, I would always, but always send their tech guys my VIN to ensure a match.

Plus as said before, if you want 4x4, there are better cars for the job
Wash your mouth out with soap…a better 4x4…how very dare you 😁

Couldn’t agree more. (And said so a few posts up :)

Apart from that propshaft bearing, all ‘the issues’ happen with all the Pandas - the dual mass flywheel being ‘the big one’. And in fact, many of ‘the issues’ are just as likely with any other make of car.

The very nature of a forum like this is that it will exaggerate issues… most of the time our cars are ‘just fine’, but we don’t tell ourselves that. It’s only when a problem occurs and we need help with it that it appears here. That doesn’t mean every car’s affected, just that the owner of one needs a bit of help.

I will add though that excise duty on any Panda (or other car) registered since 2018 will be much more than £30 - currently £165 I think and more in the first year.
Thanks for correcting re vehicle tax - I guess I've had mine longer than I thought!

Back