Technical Starting Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Starting Problem

Higgy

Hi all, i'm after some advice to hopefully give me some idea of what i'm talking about before the 4th emergency service arrive!

I bought a Croma (Elegenza Multijet 8v) around a year ago now. Last week I had it MOT'd and serviced. This morning when we tried to start it, it refused. All dash lights come on and when the key is turned it makes as if to start and then dies completely before firing up. All the dials on the dash appear to 'bounce' if that makes sense.

I am in no way mechanically minded so any advice at all will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Start with the obvious - the battery. If they're going to die, it's always when it's cold - something to do with chemistry.

Yes start with the battery.

It used to be with petrol engines that a failing battery could be easily detected during cranking. On my diesel Croma one colder morning I turned the ignition on. Dash lit up bright as an Xmas tree as normal. Truned to start and the whole lot just died on the spot. Worse still turning off and on again nothing happened. Dead as a do-do.

Could not get any dash response till I'd put the battery on chage for a short while.

Seemed to me that the body computer said to itself, duffy battery, ignore the driver!

Back