General Starting problem Stilo 1.2

Currently reading:
General Starting problem Stilo 1.2

Started the car (1.2) the other day without the 'checks' completing. Not something I normally do but was not concentrating. Thought nothing else of it. Today took car out of drive to repark , it started fine but I ran it only for a minute or so - which was as long as it took to reverse and repark.
Just gone to the car about 6 hours later and it has turned over but not firing. Battery sounds weak after about 5 turns, fuel coming through ok because you can smell it.
Any ideas if this could be: starting incorrectly the other day, running it for too short a time when cold this morning, or the battery needs a charge (battery is heavy duty and only 2yrs old).
Am charging the battery now to see if that works. Any advice welcome as
travel plans for tomorrow in jeopardy because of this.

Last edited:
While the battery is on charge whip out the spark plugs to see if their fouled up or even nackered..

Started the car (1.2) the other day without the 'checks' completing. Not something I normally do but was not concentrating. Thought nothing else of it. Today took car out of drive to repark , it started fine but I ran it only for a minute or so - which was as long as it took to reverse and repark.
Just gone to the car about 6 hours later and it has turned over but not firing. Battery sounds weak after about 5 turns, fuel coming through ok because you can smell it.
Any ideas if this could be: starting incorrectly the other day, running it for too short a time when cold this morning, or the battery needs a charge (battery is heavy duty and only 2yrs old).
Am charging the battery now to see if that works. Any advice welcome as
travel plans for tomorrow in jeopardy because of this.

Mrs Ffoxy is so ignorant of things electrical and mechanical I doubt she EVER waits for the Checks to be run through, she just turns the key and starts her 1.2 and so far no issues. Co-incidence I say, good advice from PNL. (y)

Mrs Ffoxy is so ignorant of things electrical and mechanical I doubt she EVER waits for the Checks to be run through, she just turns the key and starts her 1.2 and so far no issues. Co-incidence I say, good advice from PNL. (y)

While others disagree I have always stated how important it is to do the start up checks on the stilo..always did it on mine and it never missed a beat.. can be a pain in the butt though if you stall in traffic :eek:

Last edited:
While others disagree I have always stated how important it is to do the start up checks on the stilo..always did it on mine and it never missed a beat.. can be a pain in the butt though if you stall in traffic :eek:

Oh I told her to wait PNL but she has the attention span of an orange!

It only takes a few seconds after all.

Oh I told her to wait PNL but she has the attention span of an orange!

It only takes a few seconds after all.

Well it can be a bit daunting when you got a que of traffic behind you and you have to jump out and tell them all ..Ey up guys its doing its checks :p

Thanks for suggestion PNL. Im not capable of doing the plugs on this car tho - too much stuff to dismantle and funny small plug spanner! (these days cars are more involved than when I had my austin A35)
I did charge the battery for a couple of hours. Gave a bit more beef to the start which I did manage, first very lumpy and after a cloud of smoke it ran fine for a 5 mile journey and ran on idling for a half hour or so. Today Im keeping fingers crossed for an easy start later. Will post results.

Idling wont recharge the battery very much at all. You need to drive it for quite some distance, or use a battery recharger.
It takes about 15 hours to fully recharge a car battery with a 5 amp charger.

Maybe you are just suffering from too many short trips, and the battery never gets charged.

Back