Technical Starter Motor location? (HELP)

Currently reading:
Technical Starter Motor location? (HELP)

edessex

Established member
Hi all, I'm having trouble locating the starter motor on my 1985 4x4, I believe its the FIRE engine?

My old Panda Dance's starter motor was right at the front of the engine, near the bottom of the radiator. But its not in the same place on this one!

I've only had a quick look, and thought someone could save me the hassle of ripping bits out to have a look!

Cheers Guys and Gals!

-Ed.M

In fact, here's a picture to help:

just_behind_here.jpg

The starter motor on the FIRE engine is located at the back of the engine (standing in front of the car) under the inlet manifold on the passenger side.

:yeahthat:

Three bolts plus the wiring connections and it will come out. Not sure if there's enough room in a Panda, but in a Uno FIRE the starter will just come out from the top of the engine bay. Should be a 20 - 30 minute job if all goes smoothly, quicker if you know what you're doing (y)

It's a tight squeeze but there is definitely enough room to take it out from the top with the right length of socket extension!

Cheers guys, that would be why I couldn't spot it the other day!

Yeah I think its packed up, but I couldn't see it the other day to give it a thump with a large metal object to see if I can get it working again.

I picked up a 1985 4x4 for £80, anyone watching eBay might have seen it on there for a couple of days (painted in blackboard paint).

I got it as a bit of a project, I though at first it was just the battery, but I couldn't get it to work jumping it, and then noticed that on turning the key there is a slight noise of the starter trying to turn. It is how the starter sounded on my 1991 Panda Dance when that seized (RIP -got stolen and torched). I want to get the thing running so I can find out anything else which might be wrong.

I know so far that it needs a new mount for the rear prop, and new gearbox linkage. Plus the starter of course!

I've not had too much time to look at her yet, as I've been doing a clutch pipe on my 1985 Landrover 110, and also part way through a 'engine gubbings' swap from a 1989 VW Polo to a 1985 VW Polo!

Hopefully the Landrover will be done soon so I can jump into the Panda!

The plan is to give the Panda's starter a good few thumps, and if it doesn't un-seize enough to fire her up at least the once, I'll nip down to the parts department and grab a replacement!

Cheers again Guys and Gals!

Back