General Starter motor fault?

Currently reading:
General Starter motor fault?

eagleaye

My diesel Eleganza failed to start with just a click at the turn of the key. RAC was called out and said it was the starter motor, but able to start it with a whack to it. I replaced with one off my other JTD (not the easiest of tasks!) and all was well for three or four journeys but this morning the same fault occurred. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong?
The alternator was replaced by a mechanic the week before the starting problem began, could it be the alternator is damaging the starter motors? It was a Denso DAN501 unit, could the output be too high (105amp).
Any thoughts appreciated

My diesel Eleganza failed to start with just a click at the turn of the key. RAC was called out and said it was the starter motor, but able to start it with a whack to it. I replaced with one off my other JTD (not the easiest of tasks!) and all was well for three or four journeys but this morning the same fault occurred. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong?
The alternator was replaced by a mechanic the week before the starting problem began, could it be the alternator is damaging the starter motors? It was a Denso DAN501 unit, could the output be too high (105amp).
Any thoughts appreciated
Any thoughts appreciated
Just in case it’s useful to anyone I found the problem. The nut holding the earth cable onto the main body of the starter worked its way loose, so nothing to do with the new alternator output just a loose connection!

Back