Technical Stainless Steel Exhaust Advice

Currently reading:
Technical Stainless Steel Exhaust Advice

I suppose the sound aspect of any replacement system is a perception thing. Some might hear a great din, some may perceive it as a more throaty grown up or sporty tone. What is a 1.2 POP supposed to sound like? Excuse me, but it’s a 1.2 city car, so let’s keep things in perspective. My missus doesn’t want to drive into a supermarket car park with people shaking their head at her. I see young lads in little French cars sat at traffic lights all the time with huge fat exhausts poking out the back of their bean tins, revving the absolute life out of them and I bet the vast majority of people just think ‘what a berk’ at that’s being polite! Same with dump valves or whatever they are. Can someone please explain the point of a silly whooshing noise when flooring it through a 30mph zone?

I’d be more than happy to spend 300 quid + on a replacement stainless steel system from the cat back, (when the old original mild steel one has had its day). I personally just want a quality system specifically designed for the 500 that is as quiet or as close to quiet as the original with the added bonus that it will last for years.

I suppose the sound aspect of any replacement system is a perception thing. Some might hear a great din, some may perceive it as a more throaty grown up or sporty tone. What is a 1.2 POP supposed to sound like? Excuse me, but it’s a 1.2 city car, so let’s keep things in perspective. My missus doesn’t want to drive into a supermarket car park with people shaking their head at her. I see young lads in little French cars sat at traffic lights all the time with huge fat exhausts poking out the back of their bean tins, revving the absolute life out of them and I bet the vast majority of people just think ‘what a berk’ at that’s being polite! Same with dump valves or whatever they are. Can someone please explain the point of a silly whooshing noise when flooring it through a 30mph zone?

I’d be more than happy to spend 300 quid + on a replacement stainless steel system from the cat back, (when the old original mild steel one has had its day). I personally just want a quality system specifically designed for the 500 that is as quiet or as close to quiet as the original with the added bonus that it will last for years.
I quite like the slight put put exhaust note that the 1.2 has :)

no it's not, its a Fiat 500 and suitable for all sorts of roads, has a proud heritage and should make a proper noise (y)

Perhaps Loujam read your signature.
Yep I did and the signature goes like this:-

"Straight-through sports rear exhaust boxes for FIAT 500. 304 grade stainless steel. Makes this great little car sound like it should"

But yes I did jump to conlusions on how loud it might be. I like the LongLife website quote for their Mild Sport Exhaust. They describe it as follows:-
Mild Sport: a little throatier sound noted especially when you accelerate.
http://www.bristolexhausts.co.uk/products.php

With that statement, you get quite a good guide on what you are getting sound wise. Anything from standard up to mild sport would be fine for me. The fitting and fabrication on the day though will be down to how skillful the fitter is.

Neil, short of a Youtube clip (which I know from some of your previous posts in other threads its not that easy to get one done), maybe you could let us know which of the 4 descriptions on the Longlife site your exhaust matches or is closest to. Yours are top quality and look like the best price too.

Last edited:
"no it's not, its a Fiat 500 and suitable for all sorts of roads, has a proud heritage and should make a proper noise
thumb.gif
"

Yeah, ok, in your opinion (and no doubt lots of others too). Mine is that it is great as a city car and that was the main reason for buying it and as nice as it is, I still prefer to do the odd 1200 mile journey in my 2 litre Cadillac than in the 500;)

As for a proper noise, again, depends on perception and you're entitled to yours:)

Neil, short of a Youtube clip (which I know from some of your previous posts in other threads its not that easy to get one done), maybe you could let us know which of the 4 descriptions on the Longlife site your exhaust matches or is closest to. Yours are top quality and look like the best price too.

Mild Sport, Mid Sport is probably overstating it.

The car doesn't have a big engine and the cat acts as a silencer to a degree.

RobW is 100% right, these should make a bit of a sound.
And if you've got one you want the whole experience.

Simple answer is buy one and find out. Do the Youtube and get the award for doing it!

Do you have a backbox with a round tip? I figure it would be a direct fit for my panda 100hp aswel? I would love to make you a nice clip and get the refund. Do you ship to holland?

The only finishers I have are the ovals and they are welded on. I have had a look at Panda 2003- exhausts and yes it looks the same! It could well fit. Have a good look underneath your car before you order just to be sure though.

Yes I will ship to Holland for you for £45. so £240 all in.
Paypal me the money if you want the exhaust.
[email protected]

Also I will return £25 if you do a decent youtube of the fitment so I can use it for other customers.

This offer applies to FIAT 500 owners also of course.

Last edited:
Back