General squeeling sound when cold

Currently reading:
General squeeling sound when cold

Prash78

my friend owns a fiat punto 1.2SX60. Its about 10 years old. Shes owned it 5 months. When driving it, when engine is relatively cold..it makes a squeeling sound. If you take foot of accelerator the noise stops.

any ideas what it could be?

Could be a tesnioer pully on the timing belt, but when the engine is runnig, you should still hear a whine. If not could be the alterntor belt, or the alternator possibly.

check how tight the belt is with your finger it should not have more than 1 inch of "give" in either direction

Last edited:
my friend owns a fiat punto 1.2SX60. Its about 10 years old. Shes owned it 5 months. When driving it, when engine is relatively cold..it makes a squeeling sound. If you take foot of accelerator the noise stops.

any ideas what it could be?

If its only when its cold and not when warm it will probably be the cambelt tensioner, does it sound like a little turbo under the bonnet (whinning noise) ?

you may have had the cam belt changed but did they replace the cam belt tensioner bearing

if not it will likely be that

or the alternator belt

these engines should have a surprisingly tight alternator belt

the water pump is a possibility on a 10 year old car you would be amazed how far gone the water pump bearing can be before the water seal lets any water out

spray some wd 40 on the alternator belt wile the car is running and see if the noise goes away if not spray some in the cam belt cover and see if it goes away if it does it's the tensioner

also over tightening of various belts can cause premature failure of bearings

Yeah, thats right, overtightening alternator belts can crush alternator barings from my knowledge.

Could be a tesnioer pully on the timing belt, but when the engine is runnig, you should still hear a whine. If not could be the alterntor belt, or the alternator possibly.

check how tight the belt is with your finger it should not have more than 1 inch of "give" in either direction

thanks for the help to all.

I do remember it has made this noise both before and after getting the belts done and the alternator belt was changed also.
I did think the tension had been done but now come to think of it even more...i'm not 100% sure. I can't remember.eek.

am i right in saying tho that if the cambelt snaps, the engine is safe? i.e. safer than most other cars. I'm sure i read this somewhere.

if it is the tensioner should that be changed asap?
could even be the actual alternator or water pump reading the suggestions. i originally thought the noise came from the water pump as there was play in it. or even the gearbox just showing signs of wear and tear.

Only way to locate it is to open the bonnet and get some one to start it up and rev it while looking & listening in the engine bay. It could be 101 things that squeek.

Back