Styling Spraying the Interior

Currently reading:
Styling Spraying the Interior

afroking

Established member
Hi guys,

I'm looking to spray a few bits the same silver as the outer body of the car. Namely the rings around the air vents, the clock cluster, and the centre console.
What would be the best way to prepare and spray these parts? They have a slight sheen to them so will I need to rub them down, or can I get some sort of primer?

Thanks,

Ad.

Spray will look gash unless you do it very well, and the flexi plastic may react badly (melt) to paint. I tried spraying the centre console of my coupe silver and ended with 'melted console'

There is a guy who advertises on Ebay doing alloy rings for the instrument cluster and the big vents. I've got them and they are excellent..better than spraying and make the car look much more finished. He also does a shiny alloy plate to go under the brake handle and also alloy kick plates and sill liners. Didn't get those..too bling.

Another guy on Ebay does vinyl metallic stickers for all the vents, dash etc but looks 'orrible..steer clear.

If interested I can post some pics of the alloys bits?

when painting, you can paint only hard parts. like door handles, plastic covers and similar thing... you can't paint rubbers or other soft parts.

all sprays have to be warm, you can put them in warm water (don't boil them) and :tosser: for about 1-2 min before use.

1. take off part that you like to paint (and remember where you put bolts) :D
2. give a nice clean with nitro to remove all fat and dirty
3. it's good to :tosser: with sand paper to gloss surface (1000-2000)
4. two hands of plastic primer in interval of about 30min - first you spray edges and flat parts. this primer will create a kind of coat and paint will catch better to surface.
5. go to smoke (NOT IN SAME ROOM!) and came back in one hour.
6. surface must be smoothly, if not take sand paper of 1500-200 and :tosser:
7. clean it after... :D
8. now you are ready to paint. you have to... shake spray can for about 1-2 mins.

ok, when painting with spray don't spray directly to surface, spray
in the blank and then to surface. also, release button of can when you are spraying in blank. because, it may happen that can will spit into surface.

btw: i used colour for 800°c why? it is more adhesive does not drip so much and doesn't have laquied inside, for glossines you use real laquier.

when spraying don't be to long at same place, its better to move hand fast left-right no matter if surface is not cover completely. it's better to paint 3-4 times in thinly layers than i one thick layer.

also, on parts that you forget to spray with plastic primer, or some dust or dirt is, it is possible that after painting with color, will came out some damn black dots 'n' spots... don't worry, that's why we paint in 3-4 layers. after 3-4 layer they will be covered, take 5-10 min interval between layers.

waiting until dried (don't try with fingers if is dried!!!)

now you can use glossy lacquer in the same way as i describe for painting. you can put more layers of that, it will protect surface from scratching. and leave until tomorrow... tomorow you can also put another layer of laquier.

you should take time for that, painting is quick part, but waiting.... and waiting...

result

btw: will create tutorial with picture on next painting.

That's a lot of :tosser: ing :D Good info.

I have used Plasti-Kote paints on interiors in the past, easy to apply and good finish. Problem is of course you can't match them to paint codes (unless you do black or white!)

Nice one F4usT, very helpful! Did you rub down the the white before putting lacquer on?

I had a look at Plasti-kote but found it difficult to get a good enough match.

if you see (feel under fingers) some spots, dots, drops then yes, use water 1000-2000 sand paper. but be very gently... after that put lacquer, lacquer will cover everything and because of refraction of light, glow, gloss you will not see those mistakes... well, only if you search for them.

those are my experiences...

I've :tosser: it all down and sprayed about 3-4 coats of grey primer and it has came out perfectly. Should I rub it down before top coat? Will the finish be OK if I don't?

Thanks,

Ad.

you need to :tosser: only if is not smooth under fingers and you can feel some grains (like sand grains). some small bumps are ok, next layer of color will align everything. now you are ready to paint, if painting by spray don't paint directly to surface... press the button in blank and then cross over the surface. and release button also in blank, because those sprays like to spit.

there are differences between all color manufactures, so some colors are very adhesive, but some likes flow and leave marks.

have any pictures of what you did?

Well I've rubbed them down, then given 3 coats of primer, then rubbed it down, then given 3 coats of top coat and now I'm going to rub it down and give it 2 layers of clear coat. Sorry but I didn't take pictures along the way. I will take pictures when I've finished and post them up.

Thanks again F4usT you have been very helpful!

great! (y)
will post later what happen if surface is not clean enough. black dots 'n' spots i mention before.

I found that when there was over spray on areas I hadn't primed I got the 'black dots n spots' appear. I'm really pleased with the way it has came out. I haven't ever sprayed anything before, it all comes down to technique.

Ad.

yep... probably were some dust or fat there and when coating with primer or color, it goes around that spot. and cant notice those spots when coating with primer because is transparent... and if/when you notice them, it's too late... so few layer will cover those nasty things... they usually appear on borders, corners and other hardly accessible places.

btw: you are painting with metallic silver or chrome effect? i was painting vent rings with that chrome metallic effect color before and when put lacquer it fade to gray. i think it's the same way with metallic silver... that's why i use mat color.

I'm using metallic silver, I had the paint mixed to match the paint code 647. It matches perfectly and hasn't faded to grey....yet! I still need to wait for it to dry before I can give it some :tosser: and lacquer. I hope it doesn't fade because I have spent a few hours doing it!

All done and dusted, sorry about the poor quality photo; I used my old Nokia N73 which is junk.

What do you think?

Ad.

Attachments

• 22022009435.jpg
    22022009435.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 48
it looks nice... nice work. (y) it will looks super when fitted. (y)

Back