Spray painting.

Currently reading:
Spray painting.

Fast Finger

Established member
Hi guys and gals,
I know some people on here spray, so would like some help/advice please.

I have most of the kit to spray myself (as in DIY, not actually spraying myself....that would just be stupid :D ).
Can anyone give me some hints/tips or maybe a link to a site or whatever that will help me learn how to spray? It will be metalic what im wanting to spray BTW.

Cheers all,
Mark

before spraying the car, get a cheap door (or bonnet) from a scrapyard and try spraying that first. what type of gun are your using, as i would recommend a gravity feed. 3 words that i find to be the most important - preperation, preperation, preperation (always make sure that the bodywork is perfect before starting). i have posted a link to an excellent spraying website (hints and tips), but that was a while ago. i will try to find it for you :)

Cheers, Much appreciated.
Yeah, it will be going on a "spare" bonnet so if i fook up its OK.
Its not a gravity one, its one where the paint is below the gun, if you know what i mean.

Fast Finger said:
Cheers, Much appreciated.
Yeah, it will be going on a "spare" bonnet so if i fook up its OK.
Its not a gravity one, its one where the paint is below the gun, if you know what i mean.

Must be a suction feed then (not as good as gravity, but will do for occasional/diy spraying)

first thing to know from you, is what type of paint are you using?
acrylic paints are two pack or three pack and you need respirory equipment to use it. it is much better to use it as the finish is better. cellulose is more difficult to use. finish can be matt like and can be difficult to get a gloss finish. thinners are all important. you will need to use anti bloom thinners for both. sinkage is a big problem with cellulose.
spraying metallic paint is not easy at all. you start with a mist spray. keep your arm staight at the wrist and move the nozzle across the panel from approx 10 ins. you need to go left to right and up and down to get the metallic flaked to stand up to give the right finish.dont put to much on. try to build up the layers.let it dry before the next layer is put on or pin holing will occur. colour will vary to how much you put on at once. temp will alter the colour, so try and do it all in one go. the colour is brought out of the paint with the lacquar top coat.
believe me, you will mess up first time. you need to practice. oh forgot, nozzle jet needs to be correct for the paint. cellulose needs heating up when mixing to help it flow better. mixing is very very important to get the paint's colour and pigment right. read up as much as possible and take advice from you local paint supplier. prep as chris said is vital as is cleanliness. good luck.:)

your suction feed will be ok for the paint, its not so good on heavier materials like a highbuild primer filler though as there heavy, just practice on old stuff and remember if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Back