Technical Speedo needle wobbly

Currently reading:
Technical Speedo needle wobbly

Mark312

Hi,

Only recently joined the world of Fiat owners for the first time, with a 2001 Bravo 1.2 SX 80. We had a problem with the engine idling speed varying quite a lot, which I tried the washers between the throttle body thing - no real difference- then did an ecu reset the other day and - big improvement! Not fully sorted but better.

Sorry for the ramble, but I wasn't sure if it would help with this post.

After the ecu reset, the car took a few drives to settle down, hazards would randomly come on whilst driving, though that hasn't happened today at all, BUT, worryingly we noticed that the speedo is reading under the actual speed, i.e. shows 40 when roadside speed checker board shows 44. Checked this against our other car which confirmed this. Then on the motorway - first time we've taken it up to 70 (on the speedo that is) the needle was wavering from 70 to 60 and anywhere inbetween whilst holding a steady speed.

There is also a very pronounced vibration through the steering wheel at about 70mph which feels like wheel balance issues. Could these two be related?

As the car is new to us, I'm not sure if the 195/50 R15 wheels are the correct size, as they seem like aftermarket alloys. Could this be affecting the speedo readout?

Any help gratefully received.

take one of the wheels off and see do they have either plastic or alloy inserts to keep the wheel centered on the hub as some people dont put them on and wud cause a very annoying vibration just a thought if it does have them then balancing is next (y)

Back