Technical bouncing needle?

Currently reading:
Technical bouncing needle?

Is it idling, remaining constantly rev ready?

If so could be alternator or just the dash plug maybe a tad loose/worn.

Yer its idling fine just under 1k its just when i go out it starts to play up.ive always known it to be the alternator as ive this problem in a previous car.

Yeah should be fine unless your idling is rough! :) never had alternator mess with counter personally, but i know that slamming my door can sometimes bounce the needles with the o'l marea haha!

Mike,

I've just had a similar thing on my HGT, turned out to be the main engine earth on the gearbox.

Mine started by bouncing around when I was out driving, then the temp needle climbed off the scale a few weeks later, then the rev counter wound its way round to the facia and stuck there, then the car wouldn't start. Chucked a jump lead from the battery to the engine and everything went back to normal (except the bloody rev counter which is firmly wedged.......) Since then I have re-made the earth connection and also stuck a couple of slightly smaller earths in as well, just in case it does it again!

Hope this helps,

Lee

Cheers lee ill go and check that main earth lead and give it a clean too.
I do think it maybe the alt aswell tho cos like i say when the sat nav was plugged in it started and also the wipers are slow.

But anyhow ill go and check over that earth lead
Cheers

not checked it yet due to getting home from work late,soon as i got time i will go over it.

just bought an alternator off a friend that the car had done 76k so once i receive it ill see how i get on.

Mike,

I've just had a similar thing on my HGT, turned out to be the main engine earth on the gearbox.

Mine started by bouncing around when I was out driving, then the temp needle climbed off the scale a few weeks later, then the rev counter wound its way round to the facia and stuck there, then the car wouldn't start. Chucked a jump lead from the battery to the engine and everything went back to normal (except the bloody rev counter which is firmly wedged.......) Since then I have re-made the earth connection and also stuck a couple of slightly smaller earths in as well, just in case it does it again!

Hope this helps,

Lee

My car did EXACTLY the same a few weeks ago, an extra earth sorted the problem.

how do you mean you 're-made' and extra Earth?

not looked at it yet as been getting back late with work.fathers day tomoz too.will have to wait till i get an early finish

I took the earth off the gearbox, cleaned everything up and re-fitted it using a spring washer between the bolt and crimp to ensure a bit of bite and to stop it loosening. Chuck a dollop of thick grease over it when you are done to keep the damp out!

I also ran two thick amplifier power cables from the battery -ve to a couple of different points on the engine to back up the main strap. You can never have enough earthing to the engine (y)

ah righty,cheers for that :) i was back early today (mondays are quiet) so should have stripped it and try to sort it then BUT as the weather was nice i just had to go out in it on the school run with the missus LOL

ill crack on with it tomorrow or next day im back early (y)

Cheers
Mike

Thought id replied lol

When i took the bolt out to clean the earth point up,i went to put it back in and the end of the bolt snapped :s I thought great,but i put the earth point over the bolt and screwed the bolt back in so now the earth point/lead is right against the gearbox with a washer .It seems to have done the trick anyhow :)

Back