SORN help (21 day waiting period?)

Currently reading:
SORN help (21 day waiting period?)

Ok,

I'm picking up a Panda this weekend, the insurance will be transferred from my Cinquecento tomorrow at 1am.

I was going to put the Cinq up for sale on here and see if anyone had it before the end of the week but I've left the V5C in Great Yarmouth (I'm in Staffordshire atm), bugger!

So I need for SORN for now as the DVLA would rather have everyone scrape money back from them, instead of letting the tax run out on the drive.

But the SORN fill-in-and-print-and-post website thing says "I am the current, or last registered keeper and the vehicle is being kept off the public road (SORN), and it won't be taxed in the next 21 days."

I was going to advertise it and arrange any viewings for when I'm back again in two weeks but what if any new owner want to tax and insure it online and drive it away :confused:

I know taxing will de-SORN but what about the 21 days?

Help!

This is off the back of the V14 form.

So
If you buy a new car and transfer your existing insurance because you won't be driving the old one (makes sense) and it's not worth PXing and wish to try to sell it privately instead, you HAVE to SORN it, even if you were going to keep it off the road anyway (of course - with no insurance).
BUT
If you do sell it within 21 days (give or take for the post??) you won't get a refund on the existing tax, but the DVLA will happily take more money for a new disc.

AND you have to make sure the name on the form is EXACTLY as it is on the V5C, which I won't have access to until Sunday evening unless I ask my landlady to look around for me :bang:

So now I HAVE to refund the tax and CAN'T sell MY OWN CAR for at least three weeks, or the DVLA will steal £86 from me :bang:

Unless, of course, they give themselves 21 days 'to be safe' and it could turn up within a week, and be safely in my bank and be pushed to a credit card to clear that a bit.

OR you sell the old car first, which could take ages, and then leave you without a new car while you hunt around trying to find one that has been looked after and doesn't sound like a tractor, if you are trying for a particular make, model and trim.

bleh, despite the 21 day thing I've slung the Imola into the classifieds for now anyway, to answer any questions and arrange viewings...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back