General Sold the 500x

Currently reading:
General Sold the 500x

twobigdogs

Well today I sold the 500X and bought a brand new Tipo. Just like to say I enjoyed owning the car over 40000 miles and three and a half years. It was a well made and a fun car to drive. If the car had a longer warranty I probably would have kept it. So long to all on here......[emoji106]

I sat in a Tipo estate when my 500X was being serviced. Pretty nice for the money, with plenty of space. As I explained in my thread, I succumbed to the slinky charms of a "fastback", and the lure of a local Hyundai dealer, over 4 years of remaining warranty and 2 free services was too much. I miss the more colourful and stylish interior of my 500X, and if I hadn't needed a bit of extra space I would have kept it for at least another year, it felt really solid and hadn't put a foot wrong.

Which Tipo model did you go for? I picked up a brand new 1.4 T-Jet S-Design in September. Just over 3000 miles in and very happy. I've just had to put half a litre of oil in, which came as a shock after 4 diesel Fiat's or Alfa's over the last 14 years which used less than half a litre between the lot of them, but can't really grumble at that.

Fuel consumption in the low 30's is a bit less than anticipated, but coming from a string of diesels, I've been spoilt. Only niggles to be looked at when the first service is due is an occasionally rattly drivers door (reported on the Tipo section a few times) and a squeaky passenger side electric window. Nothing to get worked up about at that price point.

The level of equipment is brilliant for the money - mine has radar cruise control, auto wipers, auto lights, xenon headlights, 7" UConnect Nav with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto & climate control & all the trim levels are pretty generous. It drives far better than I was expecting from the negative press reviews - I came from an Alfa Giulietta and whilst that was undoubtedly a bit more 'chuckable' the Tipo weirdly rides more smoothly & doesn't bottom out over speed bumps like the Alfa, despite being on 18" wheels (the Giulietta was on 16"'s). It may be controversial but I also prefer the way the Tipo looks to the Alfa :eek:

I've just had to put half a litre of oil in, which came as a shock after 4 diesel Fiat's or Alfa's over the last 14 years which used less than half a litre between the lot of them, but can't really grumble at that.

Fuel consumption in the low 30's is a bit less than anticipated,

I duno if the beast will improve as it's run it. Modern synthetic oil means the bedding in process takes longer than it did in the old days.

Ralf S.

Which Tipo model did you go for? I picked up a brand new 1.4 T-Jet S-Design in September. Just over 3000 miles in and very happy. I've just had to put half a litre of oil in, which came as a shock after 4 diesel Fiat's or Alfa's over the last 14 years which used less than half a litre between the lot of them, but can't really grumble at that.

Fuel consumption in the low 30's is a bit less than anticipated, but coming from a string of diesels, I've been spoilt. Only niggles to be looked at when the first service is due is an occasionally rattly drivers door (reported on the Tipo section a few times) and a squeaky passenger side electric window. Nothing to get worked up about at that price point.

The level of equipment is brilliant for the money - mine has radar cruise control, auto wipers, auto lights, xenon headlights, 7" UConnect Nav with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto & climate control & all the trim levels are pretty generous. It drives far better than I was expecting from the negative press reviews - I came from an Alfa Giulietta and whilst that was undoubtedly a bit more 'chuckable' the Tipo weirdly rides more smoothly & doesn't bottom out over speed bumps like the Alfa, despite being on 18" wheels (the Giulietta was on 16"'s). It may be controversial but I also prefer the way the Tipo looks to the Alfa :eek:

I wanted the S design but they wanted to much and had none in stock. I went for the the longe 1.4 T petrol and it has the same spec as yours but with 17” alloys. Got it within 2 weeks [emoji106] I noticed on mine behind the glovebox there is no felt cover.The heater and cables are exposed to the top of the footwell....a cost cutting measure or is mine missing?

I duno if the beast will improve as it's run it. Modern synthetic oil means the bedding in process takes longer than it did in the old days.

Ralf S.

Yeah I noticed how thin the oil was when I poured it in. Made for interesting viewing without a funnel and an oil filler that's about 4 inches down from the engine cover!

I don't mind topping up the oil but I think it might wear a bit thin if it needs it routinely. Hopefully the oil and fuel consumption will improve after about 10k miles. My Parents'500 TwinAir took a lot of running in so I won't reach a conclusion until it gets past 10k.

Yeah I noticed how thin the oil was when I poured it in. Made for interesting viewing without a funnel and an oil filler that's about 4 inches down from the engine cover!

I don't mind topping up the oil but I think it might wear a bit thin if it needs it routinely. Hopefully the oil and fuel consumption will improve after about 10k miles. My Parents'500 TwinAir took a lot of running in so I won't reach a conclusion until it gets past 10k.

Use the same routine as getting the TA oiltight though..

As you say.. 'burning' oil is an expensive chore.

Glad I made the effort.. 6 years later.. still not noticed a dropping level :)

I wanted the S design but they wanted to much and had none in stock. I went for the the longe 1.4 T petrol and it has the same spec as yours but with 17” alloys. Got it within 2 weeks [emoji106] I noticed on mine behind the glovebox there is no felt cover.The heater and cables are exposed to the top of the footwell....a cost cutting measure or is mine missing?

I was lucky as the dealer had three identical S-Design's in stock. In hindsight I think they could've knocked a bit more money off as I only got £3500 off list price (£2500 was a Fiat customer saving) but I'd been there hours test driving an Abarth 595 & concluding it wouldn't be any good for me, so I just wanted to get a deal sorted. I'm happy with the car so that helps stop me thinking I should've asked for more money off.

I'd have been perfectly happy with a Lounge though, it was only the bigger UConnect screen and the Street Grey paint on the S-Design that swung it, otherwise I'd have got a 1.6 Multijet Lounge in dark grey with leather. I see the new factory orders for the Lounge have the bigger UConnect screen now, typically!

I've not noticed the lack of cover in the passenger footwell but I've not looked to be honest. I'll take a look!

Use the same routine as getting the TA oiltight though..

As you say.. 'burning' oil is an expensive chore.

Glad I made the effort.. 6 years later.. still not noticed a dropping level :)

Our TwinAir used a little bit of oil periodically, but I don't remember it dropping quite so much as the Tipo in one go. I'll keep an eye on it now though.

The TA got remarkably perkier after the first 10k miles, but this T-Jet already feels very eager. Feels quite a bit more than 120bhp.

I was lucky as the dealer had three identical S-Design's in stock. In hindsight I think they could've knocked a bit more money off as I only got £3500 off list price (£2500 was a Fiat customer saving) but I'd been there hours test driving an Abarth 595 & concluding it wouldn't be any good for me, so I just wanted to get a deal sorted. I'm happy with the car so that helps stop me thinking I should've asked for more money off.

I'd have been perfectly happy with a Lounge though, it was only the bigger UConnect screen and the Street Grey paint on the S-Design that swung it, otherwise I'd have got a 1.6 Multijet Lounge in dark grey with leather. I see the new factory orders for the Lounge have the bigger UConnect screen now, typically!

I've not noticed the lack of cover in the passenger footwell but I've not looked to be honest. I'll take a look!

Yep thanks for that. I only chose the lounge when they told me it had the bigger 7” screen..[emoji106]

S-design saloon in street grey..... :p You'd think Fiat would import one, just for me... (ungrateful barstewards! :D )

Ralf S.

S-design saloon in street grey..... :p You'd think Fiat would import one, just for me... (ungrateful barstewards! :D )

Ralf S.

Could they not tempt you with a hatch? The boot is bigger than I thought it'd be.

Attachments

• DSC_0285.JPG
    DSC_0285.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0291.JPG
    DSC_0291.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 32
They could... it is a sexy beast in that colour/wheels combo'.. but I saw a saloon whilst on my holidays last year and I rather fancy it.

I'm the minority who still likes saloons... but I suppose the prospect of selling "1" isn't enough to tempt Fiat... :D

I might end up importing one from Ireland (depending on the hard border doodah) if I don't get distracted by a second-hand Jag XE first. Guaranteed then that everyone will see what a sauce it is and the demand will make Fiat UK belatedly formally introduce it to the UK. :D

Ralf S.

Unlikely. If the likes of Ford and VW don't bother selling a saloon version of the Focus and Golf any more, a sales minnow (in the UK) like Fiat would never bother either.

Research in Nuneaton gave us a Tipo when our 500X was having some warranty work done. Seemed ok but a classic C segment Fiat in terms of it being OK / no-frills etc. and will probably drop like a stone in value soon - which will then make them a good buy. Did I see there was a proposal to make an Abarth Tipo on the horizon?
We're keeping our 500X for another 2-3 years until Stelvio values have decreased.....

Well I am loving my new Tipo....drives really nice and it’s the same engine 1.4t that was in my 500X but feels sportier.Probably down to smaller size car. Much more kit than my 500X and I love the 7” touchscreen. Can’t get over how much bigger the boot is than the 500X.[emoji106]

Well I am loving my new Tipo....drives really nice and it’s the same engine 1.4t that was in my 500X but feels sportier.Probably down to smaller size car. Much more kit than my 500X and I love the 7” touchscreen. Can’t get over how much bigger the boot is than the 500X.[emoji106]

Glad you're enjoying the Tipo (y) The 1.4 engine is actually a lower spec one than the 500X though - in the Tipo it's the 1.4 T-Jet 120bhp without MultiAir, whereas the 500X used the 1.4 MultiAir 140bhp unit. Tbh it feels like more than 120bhp to me in the Tipo. I'd prefer to have the T-Jet to the MultiAir engine though, as that MultiAir unit has been known to run into problems in the Alfa Romeo's it's fitted to, like the MiTo and Giulietta. Usually because of low oil level or leaving it too long before oil changes, but not exclusively. The T-Jet is a simpler piece of kit, which seems to be a good thing in this instance despite being slightly thirstier in my experience so far :)

The 7" UConnect screen is a far cry from the old 5" version. It's less buggy than the 6.5" version I had in my Alfa Giulietta too. The boot on the Tipo is brilliant. I barely use it but it looks like it'd take several large suitcases lengthways or sideways. Very underated car.

Back