Technical Soggy carpet, bulkhead rust

Currently reading:
Technical Soggy carpet, bulkhead rust

Just came across this, does anyone know what to expect on the other side? (Obvious patch of rust, plus some by the bonnet release cable grommet). I'll be having a look during the long weekend at the end of this month. Looks like it'll be underneath the battery tray based on there the rust is in relation to the bonnet release cable?

(top of the throttle pedal and the bonnet release cable also in the picture)

Speaking of which, came back to my car after it was parked up for a few days and found the carpet was satched... pulled it up and put down some talc last night, and it looks like it's rolling along the bonnet release cable from the engine side, then dropping off the handle inside :bang:

Attachments

• IMAG0682.jpg
    IMAG0682.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 151
Don't think so, it's only there when it's been raining (first happened when it throwed it down over the weekend before last).

I put some sealant in and around the grommet the bonnet release comes through, and it was dry inside this morning, so that'll do until the long weekend :)

Hi

On my Sei you need to remove all the leaf debris between the battery and the inner wing as this will form an aqua duct and fill the plastic battery tray with water.

It cannot rain in Italy

Noel

Had two cento's with rotten battery trays. Rusty one had a massive hole in her and caused the floor to rot out because it had been leaking for so long but welded that up. Not had a soggy carpet since then.

Bah, I hope it's not a huge load of rust. Though I had noticed water poured on top of the car channelling down like this (see attachment) so it probably is. Will put a little bead of sealant on the top of the inner wing to direct it down to the front of the car instead (as well as checking the rest out). Good excuse to stick the battery in the boot?

Floor and the rest of the bulkhead (what I can see for now) looks ok, though the standing water did make the metallic paint flake off (I suspect little or no lacquer inside?) so I'll be hammeriting that as a precaution.

Quite rare to see rust there. I suspect it has something to do with the drain pipe from the windscreen washer bay being clogged, blocked up.

Not sure what you mean there, the bit under the scuttle where (half) the heater box and the wiper linkage and motor live?

Attachments

• cinqRain.jpg
    cinqRain.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Just realised 'soggy carpet' sounds like... something else.

It is indeed running down the inside of the bulkhead, then following this path, due to the angle I've parked at. The path would have dried up before, leaving just the pool behind, which is what made me think it was dripping from the bonnet release.

Took out the battery, plastic tray and the partition between the heater box/wiper linkage. The metal part of the battery tray seems fine, but there seems to be water getting into the slot that the rubber strip on the bottom of the partition goes into...

...and when it gets to the end, some of it drains straight down, and some across the battery tray and down this little hole, hmm. I'll still have to get a mirror to try and see under the tray, without cutting it out.

The drain under the heater box works fine, though I don't think there should be any water in the slot, the rubber part that goes in there should be snug enough - perhaps drill some drain holes?

The start of that red line is actually a 25mm diameter hole, that fiat cover over with some masking tape, then sound deadening over the top. Pas side there is 2.

DSC004612.JPG

Can see the tape on chalky after I removed the deadening.

Anyway both of them exit straight out under the car and you can see daylight straight through them.

If the car is being driven quite alot then water will come through there if the tape and deadening have become worn or just failing to seal.

As for the plastic tray and the holes, don't worry they are just drains to allow water to run out from underneath the matrix.

Soggy carpet = awesome (y).

Thanks

X

Last edited:
Ah, the start of the red line wasn't anywhere in particular, just showing that it's running down the bulkhead, then rolling along in the crevice where it meets the floor until just after the A pillar...

Covering 2.5cm holes up with masking tape seems ideal (y) :p I couldn't see any on mine, there was some stuck to the sound deadening but maybe the water coming in moved it from its original position? Plus I still have that small bit of rust further up, but afaik that is surface rust, I never thought to check properly before.

The first time it filled up with water was after it had been standing for a few days and it rained hard, pointing nose down, and I'd previously driven in worse weather and been ok.

Getting the sound deadening and battery back on so I can drive it to work tonight, in between the rain and my lower back imploding, then I'll he having a further look over the long weekend, as planned.

Right, I've had time to investigate further, and have found it's the door seal, not anything on the bulkhead; not entirely sure how to fix it, yet (other than buying a new seal) - trying some silicone sealant at the moment.

Also discovered if I park downwards it'll leak into the front, if I park upwards it may be leaking into behind the driver's seat, though I'm not 100% on that yet - the carpet needs to come up again to confirm - but the front stays dry. Still nothing in the passenger side.

As for Hammeriting the floor and the surface rust on the bulkhead, do I need the metal primer or can it go right on - surely it wouldn't hurt to use the primer anyway?

Yea just wirebrush it back, it kiss it with a sander if the metal has only surface bubbles.

If it goes back to shiny stuff then treat with rust primer, flat it smooth and then paint to match.

Don't forget to check the other side of the pannel.

Thanks

X

Back