General Softness Of Clutch On Fiat Punto Mk1 Only

Currently reading:
General Softness Of Clutch On Fiat Punto Mk1 Only

salmanansari

1998 Fiat Punto Mk1 1.2 60s Black

hey ppl hope were all gd, jst got a quick question for owners of fiat punto's mk1 only pls. my clutch is really hard and was jst wondering is tht a sign tht needs a new 1 or do they vary? i have had it for almost 4yrs now and its alway been a little hard whilst a m8s is slightly softer.

Hard clutch generally means a worn release bearing. Work the clutch a few times and listen for a click/knock from the gearbox. If present I'd go looking for a new clutch or it'll most probably give on you when your 200 miles from home!

alfa_v6 said:
Hard clutch generally means a worn release bearing. Work the clutch a few times and listen for a click/knock from the gearbox. If present I'd go looking for a new clutch or it'll most probably give on you when your 200 miles from home!

:yeahthat: i have got that exact problem with mine and this mechaninc told me just to drive untill it goes could either take a long while or short you never know
(n)
im just driving tho. been runnin ok for half a year allready

Well it could last for years but it might not! I'd personally like to change it so i know it wont go on me and leave me stranded in the middle of no where! Good Luck tho could maybe start taking bets on how long it'll last!

yea now mentionin tht abt a weird noise but it comes n goes hasnt been round for a while............sounds like a weird sucking noise or sumthing wen push it dwn.....hmm

hmm. Does it happen when the engines running and the brake pedals depressed? If so could be a faulty servo.

hmm. Does it happen when the engines running and the brake pedals depressed? If so could be a faulty servo. Or possibly just air in the system?

not its jst generally a harder clutch. but dnt 4get ppl im jst comparin it to 1 other punto i dnt knw if wat i think is hard mite jst b normal for fiats!

Last edited:
fiatpuntosx said:
Mine is alot harder than the other cars in our household - but i've always put it down to it having a hydraulic clutch and being a fiat.

Matt

Shouldn't make any difference hydraulic or mechanical, diaphragm clutches do often 'harden' with age I broke the linkage on one of my Lancias 'cos the clutch had got so hard it does put a lot more strain on the system & punto clutch slave cylinders arn't renown for durability.

Back