softmodding an eggbox

Currently reading:
softmodding an eggbox

arc

this is where i stand
i've got myself in a right muddle now.

i've got a chipped xbox with an x2 chip and an unchipped xbox, unmodified xbox.

i want to be able to run xbmc on my other xbox.

from what i can tell there a zillion ways to do this, but i can't figure them out.

i was following this

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=45&t=147321

BUT, to access the hdd from the unchipped box - i was booting it in the unmodded console, and hot swapping it with the other hdd in the other console. and then ftp'ing into it. that went weird though - with the hdd from the unmodifed console plugged into my modified console, i could view all the files and directories that actually exist on my (unplugged) modified box hdd.

well i made a c/fonts folder anyway and copied stuff over. swapped the hdds over. now i get an error 6 on the unmodified box. bother.

what i need to know.. what do i need on my unmodded xbox's hdd to able to boot evox.

ooh i did softmod on old xbox and messed it up, fixed it luckily with hotswap :eek:

Error 6 means the hard drive is locked with a different EEPROM than the one that your Xbox has. :confused:

Strange.

I'm having a browse through Xbox Scene for ya. (y)

yeah, i just sussed out why too.. and feel a bit silly.

i tested in situ in my modified box.. which off course cannot unlocked the drive... duuuuhhhh.

right, error code is now 16. which is a dashboard error. i think ive broken the dash files.

time to solder an x2 in flash the tsop!

anyone got any spare install bits for an x2? pin or wire install, i'm not fussy!

oo progress, xbmc ftp's client is different to evoxs and has given me proper access to the HDD.

what should i have in my /fonts folder - cos ive only got bert and ernie atm. oops!

That tutorial is really confusing! :confused:

Also, isn't the font exploit pretty outdated?

If you want I can send you an Action Replay thingy so you could do the NDURE 1.1 Softmod? (Long as you send it back of course :p)

Or you might be better doing the PC Hotswap NDURE than Bert & Ernie.

speak english girl!

when i used to chip xboxs there were two versions, 1.0 and 1.1. and you used an x2, or soldered the tsop write and flashed it using raincoat/007!

ive got the drive from the unmodifed console in my modifed xbox atm, hot swapped and i can ftp into it to drop files on there. saves farting about isntalling fatx drivers on the PC.

current state of play with the box im trying to softmod though, error code 16. presuambly because when i using evox as the ftp server (and getting wierd results) its made a mess of the dash file structure.

what im trying to do now is find a copy of the dash, so i can repair it - rid it of the error code and start again!

ahh of course. i've got a copy of that somewhere, ive been racking my brains trying to remember where ive downloaded the dash files from before.

edit.. a torrent?! meh. i'll have to hunt out the disc now.

Last edited:
Have a look in /XBOX/Console Based Applications/apps/dashboards will find something there that might work. ;)

When you see it you'll know what I mean. :p

don't know. there are so many conflicting ways of doing this. think best idea, ocne ive got it softmodded, solder the tsop write enable and flash it.

i dont understand why my C drive is only 304mb. :confused: its a 1.2 console with a 20gb seagate drive in there.

Last edited:
i think you most likely have extra files on there from the previous attempt.however you can ftp in there until you softmod it but need the space to softmod doh
i would use the game exploit method
borrow a memory card if you dont have one then pick up the likes of an old splinter cell game cheap on ebay etc

hmm, its possible someone has already softmodded this eggbox - hence a C drive of around 320mb.. it's a shadow C.

but should it vanish when i swap the drive into another console/hot swap?

what files are on a shadow c, what does it 'look' for when booting. default.xbe / xboxdash.xbe etc?

Back