Basic Guide to replace noisy wiper motor.

I have put this together after finding bits of information on various websites about a common fault with Mark 1 Puntos.

The problems started with a noisy front wiper motor, followed by a loss of speeds 1 & 2 of the fan heater and lastly water in the cabin.

The problem is caused by 2 drainage tubes becoming blocked with leaves and dirt which in turn make the area under the wipers into a mobile bathtub. The wiper motor becomes submerged and water build up will then enter into the interior collecting at the fan housing under the glove box and damaging the fan resister that controls the fan speeds.

Anyone who can weild a spanner should be able to sort this out. The attached guide has step by step, from what I remember this last weekend and some pictures to help.

Sorry, I tried to upload PDF version..

Basic Guide to replace noisy wiper motor.

I have put this together after finding bits of information on various websites about a common fault with Mark 1 Puntos.

The problems started with a noisy front wiper motor, followed by a loss of speeds 1 & 2 of the fan heater and lastly water in the cabin.

The problem is caused by 2 drainage tubes becoming blocked with leaves and dirt which in turn make the area under the wipers into a mobile bathtub. The wiper motor becomes submerged and water build up will then enter into the interior collecting at the fan housing under the glove box and damaging the fan resister that controls the fan speeds.

To Change the front wiper motor

1) Remove the posi-drive screws that hold the black plastic cover that runs the full length of the car between bonnet and windscreen.

2) Remove plastic caps of wiper arms with a small screwdriver and undo the 13mm nuts holding the wiper arms in place. Gently ease the wipe arms off and remember which are left and right.

3) Remove the plastic cover in item 1 by bending it in the middle to clear the bonnet hinges.

see water line (picture)

Drain Holes (usually Blocked) - (pic)

4) You will now see a puddle and the wiper motor is visible. There are what look like two rubber bungs in the bottom of the scuttle pod. Using a screwdriver or a 1" paintbrush push the gunk through to release the water. Now would be a good time to test the wipers and listen to make sure it is the motor.

5) Using a 10mm socket remove the 3 bolts holding the motor/ linkage in place an ease out of position.

6) Squeeze the plastic connector and pull to release the motor.

7) Go to scrap yard and get a replacement. I paid £15 for mine and had to remove it from a scrap car.

8) Repeat the above in reverse to replace the motor.

If you had trouble with the fan the resistor is held in by 2 posi screws under the glove box. Also remove fan and check for water whilst you are in there.

Good Luck.

Fan Resistor (pic)

StuartView attachment Basic Guide to replace noisy wiper motor.pdf

water line.jpg

drain holes.jpg

fan resistor.jpg