General So, RGZ's back at Fiat

Currently reading:
General So, RGZ's back at Fiat

muppet42

by name and by nature
Travelled to work today, everything's fine, but then, after about a minute of driving...engine starts spluttering, loss of power, "check engine" starts flashing on the dash.

Got to work (as it's only 2 miles from me), parked up and looked under the bonnet. Nothing loose, nothing looking dodgy. Lunch time...took car to Fiat in the town 5 minutes away...only thing they can do...relieve me of £61 for diagnostic and perhaps more if they can't solve it with that.

It sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders, so could just be coils or some loose connection. Hoping it's that and nothing else...just when everything was going so well too :(

Yes it's a coil. Always carry a spare one or two in the boot. 5mins to change and you're back on the road again.

Well, shall be picking the car up tomorrow and paying the hefty financial price for having to stop at Fiat. They said over the phone it needed 2 coil packs, that together with the labour, diagnostic (which they didn't need to do) and having to helicoil a sheered retaining bolt out means I'll be paying through the nose when I attend the dealership tomorrow morning.

I guess though at least it'll be sorted, but shall most definitely be getting some coil packs asap. Can't believe the way it went...no warning or anything :(

Have a look in the Stilo guides for how to diagnose which one and change a coil. It's very easy and you'll kick yourself afterwards
Better things to do with your money. You won't get fooled again:)

Have a look in the Stilo guides for how to diagnose which one and change a coil. It's very easy and you'll kick yourself afterwards
Better things to do with your money. You won't get fooled again:)

Yeah, the old, pull one out at a time with the engine running trick.

Actually checked them not that long ago (which lead to that sheered bolt) and they were all fine. Must've just been one of those random things that just happens.

As I said, I'll learn from this and invest in some coil packs of my own. It's been a rather costly learning experience though :eek:

Last edited:
Back