General So, it's not coils...

Currently reading:
General So, it's not coils...

muppet42

by name and by nature
Have been having issues with the idling of RGZ for a while now. It's been doin this around 700-800rpm rather than the usual slightly above 1000.

Investigated the coils by pulling them out one at a time (managed to shear one of the retaining bolts, which will now mean a new header cover from the scrappy if I want to have it retained again :rolleyes:), but none of them were dud.

I'm wondering what it could be that's causing this rough idle speed, engine performance other wise is fine after all. Could it be one of the spark plugs themselves, though the car was only serviced in March and I presume they changed them then? Or perhaps the timings out, it's due a cambelt change next service since it'll be over 5 years old then, though it's still not passed the 32,000 mile mark :chin:

Thanks for any pointers I could get with this, been bugging me for a while.

That said, all this mucking around did give me a chance to nosy round the engine bay a bit more and work out what can be done. Looks really simple to work on, guess that's one benefit of having such a small engine :D

Last edited:
Have you cleaned the throttle body valve as per the Guides? That causes wandering idle

Next on the investgation list for me would be pre cat O2 sensor

Got any exhaust leaks?

Last edited:
Have you cleaned the throttle body valve as per the Guides? That causes wandering idle

Next on the investgation list for me would be pre cat O2 sensor

Got any exhaust leaks?

Hmm, didn't think to clean the throttle body valve, shall give that a try. Should've checked the Guides of course, pretty nOOb mistake that one :eek:

See with the throttle body valve, on the 1.2, is that in on the around the air inlet tube on the side of the engine cover? Looks interesting to remove the clip from there.

Exhaust isn't blowing, I checked that recently when I saw the back box was looking more than a little rusty. Think it may be the original one from when the car rolled out the showroom 5 years ago :eek:

Still frustrated about that bolt shearing, didn't really put much pressure on it as well :rolleyes: Oh well.

Last edited:
on the 1.2, is that in on the around the air inlet tube on the side of the engine cover? Looks interesting to remove the clip from there.

throttle body 1.2 3.JPG
Yes here it is. If you can get your hands on right angle circlip pliers then there's a knack but a very quick way to release and refit those horrible clips

on the 1.2, is that in on the around the air inlet tube on the side of the engine cover? Looks interesting to remove the clip from there.

View attachment 45089
Yes here it is. If you can get your hands on right angle circlip pliers then there's a knack but a very quick way to release and refit those horrible clips

Worst comes to worst I can just grab a jubilee clip from work if I wreck the one that's on there :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, shall update if/when I make any progress with it (y)

Last edited:
Back