General Snow setting

Currently reading:
General Snow setting

PiersCM

Q. In actual snow, what have seasoned drivers found the best setting to be; Auto or Lock?

( As the current weather is wet and yucky, I have set mine to Auto )

Any advice welcomed…

Piers.

You only really need to use lock if you get stuck. But if you do use lock it will cancel and go back to auto if you go above 37 mph or when you have switched the engine off the next start up it will be back in auto.

Also get winter tyres if you do not already have them. Some Sedici / SX4 snow tests show that a two wheel drive car with snow tyres is better than a four wheel drive version with standard tyres.

Also get winter tyres if you do not already have them. Some Sedici / SX4 snow tests show that a two wheel drive car with snow tyres is better than a four wheel drive version with standard tyres.
I would have thought that every test would have shown this, tbh - in really bad conditions any car shod with Winters will run rings around a 4wd with ordinary rubber.

A couple of winters ago we had great fun in my wife's Winter tyre-shod MX5 which was running rings around X90s and the like (y)

...oh, and hi!

The Auto setting is real good at preventing wheel spin when pulling out of junctions quickly, when the roads are greasy, like now. I have seen posts saying that Auto can make the back step a bit out in snow/ice, if rear drive engages in a corner.

I would say use Auto for normal driving in light snow, or Lock for deeper snow, or if you fancy doing a bit of rally driving. :)

I would say that auto was kinder to the system. Continued operation in lock is likely to increase fuel consumption, tyre wear and really serves no purpose. In auto instant four wheel drive will operate the second you need it.

As I remember the manual says to avoid using Auto when it's just wet, it puts unnecessary wear on the system.

I only put mine in Auto when I'm on mud, sand or snow. But as dieselglider says you need to be careful and understand how it works. The rear will kick in when it detects slip at the front. I've had occasions where I've given it too much welly on a corner, it's put power to the rear and it's put me into a massive powerslide. Fun when there's no one else around but could be game over if you're not expecting it.

Auto is amazing when going up snowy hills. It will activate the rears just as you feel you're not going to make the Hill and it gives you a nice gentle push.

Lock is a 50/50 permanent split between front and rear and makes the car incredibly capable. I've used it to get me out of snow and ice and very muddy fields on the farm (like yesterday funnily enough when a Rav4 was stuck). Again be careful with this setting, it's not meant to be used all the time and when I've had it on too long it starts to heat up and you'll get funny noises from the back. It's happened to me.

I've always been on summer tyres but living in the South it's not economical for me to get a winter set.

So the key is slow and steady. And don't use Auto and Lock for the sake of it, use it when the conditions actually need it.

Have fun, look after your Sedici!

I always find this an interesting little video, comparing the different modes, especially from about 40secs in for about a minute;

Anyone who cannot keep a car in a straight line, 2 wd or 4 wd on a flat surface in snow, should keep their car in the garage !!

Yeah stay at home Sebastian Loeb.

Depends how fast you're going johntywyn!

Again the garage is the best bet, if there is any indecision about what speed to do on a snow surface. !!!

I've just had winter tyres fitted. Uniroyal MS PLUS 77

They seem to have good reviews and are a great price if you shop around...

PiersCM, you should now be able to leave Freelanders and Discoveries behind, if they are only fitted with standard tyres

Back