Technical Smoking from engine bay

Currently reading:
Technical Smoking from engine bay

Happy New Year All.

I've noticed an intermittent thick cloud of smoke coming from the engine bay on standstill, after a good hard thrash down the motorway. This has happened twice now. My car has only 55K miles on the clock (1.9 multijet 150 Auto) and a FFSH. On occasion, after a 100mph 30 min run down the motorway, when exiting and coming to a standstill, quite noticeable clouds of greyish (by no means white) smoke comes from the engine bay for just a short period then completely disappears. I wondering whether it's related to the constant smell of exhaust fumes I get on standstill? (exhaust fumes previously checked out and no one can find a cause whatsoever)

Anyone got any ideas. It's ruining what is otherwise a fantastic motorway cruising machine!

Have you checked for oil leaks as well as exhaust fumes? Could be that thrash at 100 (????????!!!!) would have the engine at its hottest and the oil at its most "viscous".
The old "rocker box cover" leak at the back of the engine would only need to drop one drop of hot oil on the exhaust/ manifold to generate quite a bit of white fumes/smoke.
Check it by finding a local dual carriageway with an round about at each end and a lay-by, get it up to temp ( within the speed limit:rolleyes:) on there and pull into the lay-by, pop the bonnet with the engine running , jump out and have a look if you can see owt.

Thanks guys. The exhaust flexi has been checked twice, no issues reported! Hhmmmm I'm liking the oil leak hypothesis. I'm going to take it back to my local garage and get them to look at it. I imagine they'll hand it back saying nothing found yet again :(

Back