Technical Small panel/cover on inside of engine lid

Currently reading:
Technical Small panel/cover on inside of engine lid

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
Hi - I was just looking on the inside of my engine bay cover and I can see some fixing points for something that I don't have. from searching other pictures on the internet, it appears to be a small (ali?) panel which covers up the back of the number plate light housing and bolts. As I say, I don;t have one and although I can see some in some photos from a search, none of them are face on so I can't really tell what it is and how it actually fixes.

Any idea what it's called and what it's for? I'm assuming that it is not essential since it is not actually mechanical or electrical but maybe it helps protect the number plate housing from heat or something?

If anyone's got one on their car and could post a clear picture, maybe with dimensions, position of fixing holes and how it's actually fixed, etc. that would be great. It looks like a piece of metal sheet that could be fairly easy to make up from scratch.

Thanks.

Here's my car with the fixing points circled in red, plus a pic I found on the web with the plate, also marked in red

20220410_132656 (Medium).jpg
33914338-shiny-chromed-engine-of-a-tuned-vintage-italian-car-fiat-500-in-classic-cars-rally-du...jpg

Hi - I was just looking on the inside of my engine bay cover and I can see some fixing points for something that I don't have. from searching other pictures on the internet, it appears to be a small (ali?) panel which covers up the back of the number plate light housing and bolts. As I say, I don;t have one and although I can see some in some photos from a search, none of them are face on so I can't really tell what it is and how it actually fixes.

Any idea what it's called and what it's for? I'm assuming that it is not essential since it is not actually mechanical or electrical but maybe it helps protect the number plate housing from heat or something?

If anyone's got one on their car and could post a clear picture, maybe with dimensions, position of fixing holes and how it's actually fixed, etc. that would be great. It looks like a piece of metal sheet that could be fairly easy to make up from scratch.

Thanks.

Here's my car with the fixing points circled in red, plus a pic I found on the web with the plate, also marked in red

View attachment 404620View attachment 404621
You are correct, it is a heat shield to give some protection to the number plate light assembly. Originally they made them from raw asbestos 🙀
I can see that Motobambino have them if you search heat shield. I can see that you are also missing the little plastic clip that secures the engine cover strap at the engine end.

Hi @Toshi 975 - thanks for the very quick reply and explanation! I think I'll avoid asbestos... I may give it a go out of ali plate at some point. If you've one on your car, would you mind telling me the measurements, at least the main width and length, when you've got a moment?

Also, what does the plastic clip on the engine cover strap look like?Is it "500 - XT0201C
Engine lid check strap locating clip, stops the strap from coming out of the engine cover" on Motobambino?

Hi @Toshi 975 - thanks for the very quick reply and explanation! I think I'll avoid asbestos... I may give it a go out of ali plate at some point. If you've one on your car, would you mind telling me the measurements, at least the main width and length, when you've got a moment?

Also, what does the plastic clip on the engine cover strap look like?Is it "500 - XT0201C
Engine lid check strap locating clip, stops the strap from coming out of the engine cover" on Motobambino?
The heat shield is no longer made of asbestos, it would not be allowed. I do not have one now.
yes that is the correct clip.

Back