Technical Engine cover stuck shut!

Currently reading:
Technical Engine cover stuck shut!

GrahamH2

I have just bought a 500R and the seller struggled to get the engine cover to stay shut; he did such a good job that I can't open it! It unlocks and the button can be pressed down but no amount of tugging will release the catch. Any advise? is there a work around to open it?

I don't have experience of push-button alternatives to the standard handle,but if all else fails, you might be able to get at the mechanism or at the nuts to remove it completely. One of the hinges has a nut that can be removed. There might then be enough movement to allow you to slide the bottom of the lid sideways so that you can lift it to get under the handle.

Last edited:
I tried that but with the lid shut there is not enough clearance to push it sideways to release it. My guess is the rubber edging has become entangled in the release catch. I can't get to the rubber but could possible douse it in petrol to rot it but as the garage is part of the house the smell would not be welcome. Or if I was to totally grind away the lock from the outside of the lid would this release the lid or is there still something screwed to the lid that would hold it fast? I have checked the design of a replacement lock but can not work out exactly how it fits; I need to see it from the inside to know.

I tried that but with the lid shut there is not enough clearance to push it sideways to release it. My guess is the rubber edging has become entangled in the release catch. I can't get to the rubber but could possible douse it in petrol to rot it but as the garage is part of the house the smell would not be welcome. Or if I was to totally grind away the lock from the outside of the lid would this release the lid or is there still something screwed to the lid that would hold it fast? I have checked the design of a replacement lock but can not work out exactly how it fits; I need to see it from the inside to know.

If it's fixed as original there are two studs on the inner side of the lid, with nuts securing the handle. If you are a contortionist you might be able to achieve something from underneath with the protection tray removed.

Last edited:
I have just bought a 500R and the seller struggled to get the engine cover to stay shut; he did such a good job that I can't open it! It unlocks and the button can be pressed down but no amount of tugging will release the catch. Any advise? is there a work around to open it?
Thanks all for the advice.

Fixed it! The rubber seal had jammed the catch but also the mechanism is broken, well pressing the button does not move the catch.

So I prised up each end of the cover in turn and then with a scalpel taped to a thin piece of flat bar cut away the rubber. But still the catch was barely moving. I tried various things but the solution was a piece of string threaded around the catch and a stout pull. I am fortunate in having some extremely strong string made from kevlar; my guess is garden string would not do it, or maybe use bicycle gear cable or similar. I will replace the lock with the old style keyless handle, more leverage and one less key to loose.

Thanks all for the advice.

Fixed it! The rubber seal had jammed the catch but also the mechanism is broken, well pressing the button does not move the catch.

So I prised up each end of the cover in turn and then with a scalpel taped to a thin piece of flat bar cut away the rubber. But still the catch was barely moving. I tried various things but the solution was a piece of string threaded around the catch and a stout pull. I am fortunate in having some extremely strong string made from kevlar; my guess is garden string would not do it, or maybe use bicycle gear cable or similar. I will replace the lock with the old style keyless handle, more leverage and one less key to loose.
I'm all in favour of the keyless handle! Definitely worth keeping it simple, especially where engine access is concerned.

Back