Technical Oil pump cover

Currently reading:
Technical Oil pump cover

JonPiz

When fitting the oil pump cover as in the photo, should the face of the cover meet the face of the block without putting any pressure on the cover? when refitting mine, its sits about 3-4mm off the face and when you push it down, it feels like it is compressing the spring in the oil pump.
1695055764186.png

Have you made sure the teeth on the oil pump have lined up with the slots in the end of the cam? If not, that will stop the cover from fitting right.

But yes, there was a little spring pressure when I refitted the cover on my engine recently. The spring section of the oil pump does need to push firmly against the cam to create and oil seal and not loose oil pressure. 🙂

Have you made sure the teeth on the oil pump have lined up with the slots in the end of the cam? If not, that will stop the cover from fitting right.

But yes, there was a little spring pressure when I refitted the cover on my engine recently. The spring section of the oil pump does need to push firmly against the cam to create and oil seal and not loose oil pressure. 🙂
As mentioned by 'Goldenrust', the timing-chain cover does not initially fit tight up against the crank-case. this is because you are compressing the spring in the 'oil-pressure release valve'. I wouldn't have thought that it would be 'out' by as much as 4mm, more like 2mm. One important detail---if you have renewed the oil-pump you MUST match the pump with the correct t/c cover. The 126 oil-pump is slightly deeper, so must ONLY be fitted in a 126 t/ccover. If you fit the 126 oil-pump into a 500 t/c cover you run the risk of the oil-pressure relief valve 'lifting' too soon, resulting in low oil-pressure as soon as the engine warms-up. if you have a 500 with its original t/c cover, you MUST fit only a 500 pump. As 'Goldenrust' also mentioned, make sure that the drive-lugs on the pump are correctly aligned with the 'females' for the lugs in the end of the camshaft. I have seen oil-pumps being advertised as suitable for both the 500 and the 126 engines---this is incorrect.

That looks broadly the same as my front cover was 🙂. You should be good to tighten down, with the obvious caveat that if it gets tight before the cover meets the crank case, or there’s any strange feelings/noises, then stop and re-assess!

That looks broadly the same as my front cover was 🙂. You should be good to tighten down, with the obvious caveat that if it gets tight before the cover meets the crank case, or there’s any strange feelings/noises, then stop and re-assess!
Thanks

Back