Slightly O/T, Corsa starting issue

Currently reading:
Slightly O/T, Corsa starting issue

D

Darren

Hi Guys,

My girlfriends 1.2 16v corsa on a v plate has had an issue this morning and think its related to some other problems but wanted to check what you all think first :)

This morning, put key in, turn ignition on and there is a 'click', cant hear fuel pump.
When the engine turns over it almost sounds like its freewheeling as the engine spins without even trying to fire up.
Opened the bonnet, pushed it out into the sun (was very icy this morning) removed coil pack but all seems ok, 10mins later tried again and the same thing happens but now has a slight kick when it trys to fire.
Eventually it gets enough to fire up and runs fine again, kicking blue somke out at the same time from over fueling :)
Must have had it turning over for 30 seconds to get her going though!

Now reading up online it sounds like it could possibly be the crank sensor.

The other issue is a slight misfire, it has been doing this for about a year but she only does short journeys and it has never cut out.
I thought it was the ignition coil pack but now I'm thinking it could be the crank sensor due to the issue above.

What do you guys think?
Is it worth getting a new one and trying it?

Tanks

Darren

Like you said crank sensor has too much clearance or is shot, but may be any other problem related to electrics. Hard to say from the top of my head.

sven3.jpg

Members Site ---------My Site

Hi Sven,

I came to that conclusion after reading online that if the Crank sensor is faulty and its cold it can read as 'engine not turning' and stop fuel from getting to the engine.
This would explain the engine ust spining freely without firing.

It's £30 for the part, I may just risk it and see what happens.

Fingers crossed

thanks

you did say its been misfirinf fot quite some time,id get one and go frrom there.
But saying that,have you checked the plugs recently?

The plugs were changed 3years ago by myself along with a new battery.

They look surprisingly clean and my thoughts have been on the ignition rail not firing properly but after this morning not even firing and then looking online I think the crank sensor looks like the culprit.

Misfire is the sensor missing the odd reading and this morning is the sensor missing the connection due to the cold weather I believe (low temps cause more friction so less voltage sent to sensor).

I will post back with if this fixes it as I'm getting the part tomorrow, just hope its not as cold tomorrow :)

Good old Gina fired up straight away this morning tho, had to leave the handbrake off though ;)

Darren

speaking of which,it was cold this morniong wernt it,i was shocked to see my car's covered in thick ice.