IMG_0913.JPG

Punto (Mk2/2b) Skizmo's Mk2 Punto Sporting

Introduction

[FONT=&quot]:wave:Hi Everyone,

I managed to get myself a sprint blue 2001 Punto sporting from eBay just a few weeks ago (won the bid and inspected before paying of course) and I don’t regret it one bit! Paid £1200 for it with 55K miles on the clock, it also came with a bit of strange damage to the front end as you will see by the pic's below.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I was surprised to see that it came pre-lowered on Koni springs but not quite sure how much by, they guy I brought it from couldn’t give me a test drive because he was "still a bit baked" apparently, lol, so as you could imagine I could not get a lot of sense out of him but the car seemed sound other than that so wasn’t too bothered. He told me it was 5mm but I was surprised that anyone would bother with such a small amount!

My current plans are, in priority order;
[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Fix the damage to front bumper/bonnet and re-spray repaired sections.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Touch up alloys and re-spray them in anthracite (thought about gloss black for a while, then after seeing another nice Mk2 on here with [/FONT][FONT=&quot]white[/FONT][FONT=&quot] that is what I wanted but decided I don’t want to stand out so much and went with anthracite, the happy alternative :cool:)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Colour code the wing mirrors [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Find a nice clean passenger side light, possibly go dual angel eye or find a standard replacement.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]GSR induction Kit as the come so highly praised and come in that nice blue (need a bit of saving)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]New backbox of some kind, nothing too loud. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Find more things to do (y)(suggestions?)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I already have some bits to get going with the bodywork, I am very new to all of this so it’s all "first attempt" quality here, lol. If it all goes tits up then I can at least find a new bonnet and front bumper from somewhere :rolleyes:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is what I have done so far, first are pic’s of the damage before then my filler work that still needs a lot more smoothing and shaping. I have some spray paint mixed up to my paint code with the primer/lacquer etc, but just need it to stop raining on either a Saturday or Sunday to get started :bang:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In that second pic that piece of the passenger wing was actually curled under in a U shape [/FONT]:confused: Wonder WTF happened?!

[FONT=&quot]That last pic is me making sure the paint is a least a slight match using a plant pot, lol. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So there we are, sorry for the outrageously long post but have been strapped for time with work/flat and all so I have been compiling this over the last few days. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Any observations/criticism positive or negative are welcome. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Thanks for looking!

Skiz
[/FONT]
looks nice :)
any plans for it ?

Thanks :), just trying to get some paint on those bits of filler at the moment. My most immediate plans are to restore the alloys by spraying them anthracite and more colour coding but there are a few others bullet pointed in my opening post.

Really looking forward to finishing off the repair work, once I know it will look good enough on the outside to make performance mods this will give me more incentive for the GSR/backbox etc :D

Great colour :) i had white alloys on mine though! Theres loads of sprint blues on here now, i had full exhaust gsr etc on mine, there definately worth it! have look on the last page or second to last page on my thread for mods you might like, instead of me saying paint your alloys pink or something lol

Great colour :) i had white alloys on mine though! Theres loads of sprint blues on here now, i had full exhaust gsr etc on mine, there definately worth it! have look on the last page or second to last page on my thread for mods you might like, instead of me saying paint your alloys pink or something lol

I did see your white alloys, they looked amazing, definitely the colour I would have chosen if my decision had been purely based on what looks the best, decided to go a bit more low key and figured I was going to get bored with black fast.

Don’t tempt me with the GSR, I have been waiting for an excuse to drop £180 on one of those things but I really mustn’t at the mo, lol.

There are a lot of sprint blue sportings cropping up! The more the merrier though eh?:p
Will check out your thread for ideas(y)

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the positive comments guys and for giving your estimation on the drop Munkl, I have been wondering how much it has come down by roughly quite a bit recently, 45-50mm sounds a bit more like it! At least I dont need to worry about modding the springs myself now :)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately there are a lot of potholes around my town but at least the better handling is going to good use trying dodge them all, lol. Getting really sick of this rain we have been having so I am cleaning out the shed tonight and will be using it to spray the alloys this weekend undercover :cool:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Will have some more pics up as soon as progress is made...[/FONT]

Last edited:
Looking good :D quite jealous of the deal you got and colour, think i got had... just a bit but no regrets <3 my car and stick by yellow... but i cant help but feel the regret when a blue sporting drives past lol

Hey guys,

Taken my time with the update but progress has been made!

I never thought it would take so much sanding to get the wheels down to primer/bare metal (my arm is still recovering) but got there in the end, although as it stands I only have the front wheels painted and one rear wheel sanded :p

With all the sun we have had recently I have also managed to get the front end sorted. :slayer:

Not perfect but I am very happy with it considering the cost was only some paint, filler, sand paper and my time.

Next up will be some performance mods I think, before I start though, does anyone know what this small red hose is going into the breather pipe? My friend is an apprentice mechanic and he doesn't seem to know... :confused:

Looking good :D quite jealous of the deal you got and colour, think i got had... just a bit but no regrets <3 my car and stick by yellow... but i cant help but feel the regret when a blue sporting drives past lol

Cheers mate :) It was a bargain but what I paid was my limit, I told the seller this and he grudgingly accepted, lol. I am just glad I can drive one of these baby's as I couldnt afford any more, just a pity it came with the damage but im workin on it.

Glad you like the blue but like you say, yellow's great too! (y)

Nice progress. Personally I woulda removed that dent out of the bonnet at the same time though!

Lol, I know, kinda messed up with the dent there. After it was painted the dent seems a lot more apparent but I can live with it, I managed to get the worst one out at least.

I am just glad those nasty bare patches and the stone chips are gone :eek: Think the metal needed some stretching really but had to make do with Dave's "Metalik" filler from halfrauds :slayer:

Don't want to upset you, but the paint job looks horrible(n)
The color difference is very visible on the hood of the car, and when you paint you cannot do a portion of a part (especially not metalic painted parts) cause you will see a difference. Also you didn't use primer as well as lacquer so the finish does not look good.
Also the hood is bent to the side, it doesn't sit right (I know that it's not your fault)
But you sure have guts for trying
Hopefully you will do a second project and do the job right (Air pistol will give much better results).
Goodluck!
Eran

Don't want to upset you, but the paint job looks horrible(n)
The color difference is very visible on the hood of the car, and when you paint you cannot do a portion of a part (especially not metalic painted parts) cause you will see a difference. Also you didn't use primer as well as lacquer so the finish does not look good.
Also the hood is bent to the side, it doesn't sit right (I know that it's not your fault)
But you sure have guts for trying
Hopefully you will do a second project and do the job right (Air pistol will give much better results).
Goodluck!
Eran
No it doesn't. He's done a great job with rattle cans, fair enough if it was in a body shop then the paint difference wouldn't be so much different but for a rattle can jobby hes done great. Well done fella.

Cheers Karbine, Jantes. I think it looks better than how I brought it which was the goal, no bare bits, rust or curled metal! :cool:

dodi, all comments are appreciated so no upset here :), I can take it. Believe it or not I did use primer, paint and lacquer. It was my first bit of touch up work so there is a lot of room for improvement but this car will be my only project for a while so no second projects, trying to keep the cost down too so an air pistol is not an option. I will see how more people react to it but who knows, I may sand down again and do the entire bonnet in the future but it really doesn’t look that bad unless you look hard, I quite like it in fact :eek:

Going to try and get the rear wheels anthracited this weekend so they all match. I think I need to replace the passenger side headlight also as it seems to have a million scratches on the inside of the glass somehow... [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back