General Sidelight problem

Currently reading:
General Sidelight problem

stuart543

This is rather embarrassing, but I was replacing my front sidelight bulb today and somehow the old bulb managed to pop out inside the main headlight unit as I wiggled it out, so its now rolling around inside at the front. I tried extracting it through the main beam headlight bulb hole using a piece of wire with sticky tape on the end but to no avail so far (although I got close a couple of times). This appraoch may yet work but I was wondering if anyone could think of a simpler way. I can't see any obvious way to remove the main beam reflector, but if I could, then it would be simple. Any thoughts welcome.

I did exactly the same thing on my Alfa 166 and feel your frustration.

After an hour trying as you have with tape, I found a small yet powerful magnet (borowed from the bottom of a slot car), taped that securely to a length of the fexible wire that used to be used to hang net curtains up (I knew it was worth keeping :D ) and hey presto the base contact of the bulb was grabbed and slowly extracted.

HTH

Bob

PS: been viewing and reading quite a lot in the Croma lounge as said car may be replaced soon....... if I can find a nice 1.9 Prestigio ;)

Last edited:
You could also try attaching a small bore hose (3mm to 5mm id) to a vacuum cleaner and suck the bulb to the end of the hose and gently extract.

I'm a firm believer in a "good suck job" ........ oops, did I really say that!

Vacuum extraction has/does prove to be a life saver in so many situations.

Back