Technical Shudder/Vibration on steering

Currently reading:
Technical Shudder/Vibration on steering

steve631

Shudder and vibration through the steering wheel, constant on acceleration, deceleration and cruising all speeds between 20 mph upto 60/70 mph.
2018 Ducato 2.3 comfortmatic 2700 miles only, 6.36mtr PVC.
New tyres Continentals all wheels balanced tyre pressure makes no difference apart from running them over inflated for the axle weight.

Any one on here have or had the same problem.

No the problem was there before and its getting worse it had a vibration from new but its getting to a stage of making you ill on journeys.
I have taken it into a Fiat garage and they say its normal and I know for a fact that its not normal I had 2 Ducatos a 2011 and a 2017 and have not had this problem.

Wheeld bearing, bent hub, CV joint or tripod joint maybe, try doing hard lock circles in both directions with the windows down listen for nasty noises. Barely press brake pedal to feel for ovality.

With that mileage, get it back to the daeler, with an independent opinion, and use or threaten sale of goods act or relevant consumer law. For a Fiat dealer to come out with that, beggars belief. (or does it?). Have them give you their defective opinion in writing too, for sure.

Thank you all for the replies, I have booked in Friday asking for a Fiat technician to look into it, I know that will not happen Friday but that's what I have stated if they say there is nothing wrong and I have also logged it with Fiat, fingers and toes crossed.

I have stated if nothing is wrong I want a report in writing then I will proceed with not fit for purpose and has mentioned sale of goods act.

Will keep you updated.

How many miles had you done when your drive shaft failed.

Last edited:
Re: Shudder/Vibration on steering

Originally Posted by berkeleyman
Had the same problem, turned out to be drive shaft
Hi how many miles had you done when it failed please.

Bought the van 9 years old with 85 K on it, a friend had had the same problem with a 4 year old 60K van

Thank you all for the replies, I have booked in Friday asking for a Fiat technician to look into it, I know that will not happen Friday but that's what I have stated if they say there is nothing wrong and I have also logged it with Fiat, fingers and toes crossed.

I have stated if nothing is wrong I want a report in writing then I will proceed with not fit for purpose and has mentioned sale of goods act.

Will keep you updated.

Go get 'em, boy!
How they expect anyone, and I mean anyone, to fall for it? It sounds like a problem that could end very badly indeed if someone doesn't stamp their foot on its neck pronto.
I wish you all the best, please keep posting, hope i is resolved quicker than some issues I've seen on here. (PCVehicle movements has suffered badly:bang: at Fiats hands and must be congratulated on his fortitude!):worship:

Update, drive to Fiat dealership today, road test vehicle technician driving me sat in passenger seat and he sought of saying they do this I stated I had 2 Ducato's and they do not do this plus He said you have fitted air bags on the rear I said the vibration was there from day one and its got worse its nothing to do with the rear suspension if need be I will fit there inferior spring assisters back on and prove a point.

Next step is to supply weigh bridge tickets and a report from Continental Tyres then they want the vehicle for a couple of days. Now have a case No with Fiat Customer Services, Will keep you all update.

Back