Technical Shreeching noise plus battery light on

Currently reading:
Technical Shreeching noise plus battery light on

Khunt1964

I have an 2007 1.4 Grande Punto with approx 20,000 mileage. Over the last few weeks, my car has occasionally been making a whining/screeching type noise when I first start it in the morning. The noise continues even without accelerating. I can generally stop the noise by stopping the car, turning the engine off and restarting it. This morning, however, the noise was worse and I noticed some other things - the battery light stayed on; the Power Steering didn't feel right and also the radio was crackley. I know nothing about cars but this points to an electrical fault. Any ideas anyone before I have to make that call to the Fiat garage.:confused:

Yes you're right. I took it to my Fiat dealership this afternoon. They confirmed that it needs a new Alternator. £380 ouch! Should an alternator be lasting more than 20,000 miles cos that's how many the car has done.

I certainly won't ever be buying another Fiat. I've had too many problems with this car considering it's only 4 years old and done 20,000 miles. I've had to have the tailgate lock replaced twice as well as a new heater and new drop links. A new alternator is the final straw. I'm thinking about writing to Fiat UK to complain. Does anyone think this is worthwhile? If so, has anyone got an address for them - I can't seem to find one on their website.:mad:

Doesn't sound too bad to me mate in 4 years of ownership. That's part and parcel of owning something that's made up of moving parts.

Think you're seriously over-reacting.

I think the main problem is not driving a car , 4 years - 20.000 miles , it's about 5.000 miles per year.
I also had vw and drove 2.000 miles per year because it was second car in family,and i also had problem with battery(changed every 2 years),alternator,starter,belts.....
I think that today cars are made for 4-5 years of driving,after that you must replace it to new one

I know one thing for a fact - I've had more things go wrong with this Grande Punto than any other I've owned in almost 30 years of driving.

In my company we have 2xGP van 1.3mtj , year 2007 and 2008,milage 100.000miles and 120.000miles , we only changed electronic lock on the rear door,flow meter,clutch

alternator is a know issue, make sure you have had the new drain pipe fitted as water has been known to run off the windscreen directly onto the alternator, and in the winter freeze tearing the aux belt, its possible that water ingress maybe the cause of the short life, most have had the new drain pipe fitted, this diverts water away from the alternator

Back