Technical Should i reset the ECU????

Currently reading:
Technical Should i reset the ECU????

AnfielRed118

Having read a few items about the ECU learning your driving style, is it worth me re setting mine? I purchased my Marea Weekend a few years ago and wasn't aware that i could do this until reading bits on this forum. The previous owner was a female and had it from new and as far as i'm aware the battery has never been disconnected or taken off the car. I doubt it was driven hard during this period.
A few members have stated that the ECU will learn your driving style over an approx distance of 300 miles. Does the ECU stick to this all the time or will it re-learn over a period of time if the driving style changes. I have 115BHP to play with so i just want to get the most out of it without having to do a lot of mods. I have plenty of power but it does "kick in" a bit later than i would want. Would this be linked to the ECU memory?
:confused::confused::confused:

Hello AnfieldRed118 , im also in the same boat as i not long re-connected my battery after advice from ff , im doing the 'driving like a virgin' bit at the mo so its all very sedate but i have to say the weekend seems to run very well so far,iv only done 130odd miles but it wont take long to hit the 300 mark as previously stated , iv also noticed iv used less juice since re-connecting as i drive quite normally anyway-BUT thatcould just be me reading too much in2 it?!
Joker

From what i gather from previous posts and general chat on here its no saturday night special , as iv said iv only done 130odd miles but if i poke it a bit- she does run well!! , People like The Beast , bulldog , Dave will be more knoweledgable(fink thats wrong) than me , i know it learns how you drive over a period of time and 300miles has been mentioned several times on previous posts. You'l get a more imformed reply during the week when theres more people around - sorry i cant be of anymore help than that mate.
Joker

Thank you for your replies. It would seem that any info from the more knowlegeable might prove useful to us all! It's silly little things such as this that makes this forum invaluable.

As ImtheJoker says the general consensus is that disconnecting the battery for a an hour or two sends the ecu into a learn cycle.

My understanding is that when restarted the engine relearns all it's sensors parameters, for this to be done the car should be allowed to idle for 5 minutes. Then over the course of the next 300 miles or so, it tweeks one or two internal setting related to the load used.

Certain ecus may not follow this procedure, although I can't tell you if yours is one.

I do know it will not hurt to try.

I have a couple of jobs that i want to do to the car at the weekend so i'll disconnect the battery whilst i'm doing them and see if things change for the better. Is there anything in particular that i should avoid doing when i'm "teaching" the ECU my style of driving or things that may potentially happen afterwards that i should be aware of.

Powering off the ecu completely will make it reset when turned on again, but this as beast said will only be for minor adjustments, what the manufacturer refers to "adaptation"...it will not alter the performance of the car in the way you are looking for.
The mapping tables remain the same, timing, fuelling etc, so do not rely too much on noticeable change in performance.
In reality if this was the case...who would need tuning companies!!!
Initially make sure the car is running properly, service it, then give it a run on a dyno, this will show if power is still up and also if fuel mixture is ok.
Then you will know if it is worth spending money improving the performance in the way you want it to.

Back