Shell Tesco or ASDA Fuel

Currently reading:
Shell Tesco or ASDA Fuel

Mart34

Hi Guys

Some of you guys may agree or disagree, but I've found recently that dependant on which petrol station you choose to fill up at will depend on the MPG.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been putting this theory to the test after reading many many different opinions on individual fuel retailers.

Week 1: £15 diesel @ Shell (Fuelsave) approx 149miles
Week 2: £20 Diesel @ Tesco Approx 150miles

Over them 2 weeks I've driven carefully, with no unnecessary high revs, but have already found I can save myself a fortune by keeping away from Tesco fuel, considering I put £5 more in the tank than I put in from Shell, yet only got 1 mile more out of Tesco fuel.

This is only a personal experience, as I said at the beginning of the post some of you will agree or disagree, I would love to hear if any of you have found a particular fuel retailer that gives good returns for your money. I for one will be steering clear of Tesco.

I will be putting ASDA to the MPG test this coming week.

Uv got to take into account the difference in price at each destination n there for u need to put the same number of litres in at each place not the same muny otherwise u wont get correct results.
Also its not just ur style of driving u have to watch u have to jus make the same journeys each n every week n no more otherwise ur results wont b correct.
Therez alot of ifs n buts to ur theory n to get accurate results u need accurate tests

As above its all very dependent of the per litre price which can change dramatically in the space of a week

You need to be making your calculations from the number of litres and then the cost but of the cost has changed in the mean time its still not a fair comparison.

How are you measuring what's left in the tank? £15 and £20 clearly isn't a full tank of fuel so how do you chose when you fill up again etc

I'm sorry to say your science seems a bit floored.

I have a huge choice of shell or Morrisons where I live (or gulf but they are about 5p per litre more) we still don't get she'll fuel save in east Anglia because they closed the depot that make it but having monitored my fuel use for the last year it really doesn't make a huge difference what you put in. Just a change in weather can make a 5-10mpg difference

As above its all very dependent of the per litre price which can change dramatically in the space of a week
No it's not, it's dependant on how many litres you use
You need to be making your calculations from the number of litres and then the cost but of the cost has changed in the mean time its still not a fair comparison.
MPG is calculated from Litres used and distance travelled
How are you measuring what's left in the tank? £15 and £20 clearly isn't a full tank of fuel so how do you chose when you fill up again etc

I'm sorry to say your science seems a bit floored.

I have a huge choice of shell or Morrisons where I live (or gulf but they are about 5p per litre more) we still don't get she'll fuel save in east Anglia because they closed the depot that make it but having monitored my fuel use for the last year it really doesn't make a huge difference what you put in. Just a change in weather can make a 5-10mpg difference

Like when it rains? An engine works best when it is warm, but even driving in the depths of winter won't have too much impact on mpg since the engine will still get hot - just takes a little while longer, and I seriously doubt the difference between winter and summer driving will be as much as 10mpg - My bus' economy drops by 4mpg and that is with the eberspacher cabin heater running full time.

Have you been carrying a can and running it out of diesel? If not then I cant really see how this test can be valid!

This is common but there are several varying factors such as ambient temperature, barometric pressure, calorific value of the fuel itself and so on.

Personally I've found that my car runs lumpier on Tesco fuel and I need to replace the fuel filter every couple of weeks due to the amount of crap that ends up in there.

Uv got to take into account the difference in price at each destination n there for u need to put the same number of litres in at each place not the same muny otherwise u wont get correct results.
Also its not just ur style of driving u have to watch u have to jus make the same journeys each n every week n no more otherwise ur results wont b correct.
Therez alot of ifs n buts to ur theory n to get accurate results u need accurate tests

Yes I took that into consideration, Shell was 140.9 per litre, tesco was 138.9 so therefore should of got more for my money yet only got a couple of extra miles for putting more fuel in

I'm no expert in engines, I'm just like many people who hates paying over the odds, I put the fuels in the tank once the needle hits the bottom red line, (just before I run out and have to push the car to the petrol station)

I know people will put their points across and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I appreciate peoples comments on this thread, theres plenty of discussions on the internet to read. I just wanted to see if I could come to some sort of podition where I could work out where the best place is to get fuel.

IMO Tesco petrol is pretty ****e, I hate filling up with that. Have done it a few times and the whole car just feels worse. Definitely get more MPG with other brands such a Shell.

No it's not, it's dependant on how many litres you use
You need to be making your calculations from the number of litres

Jackie-Chan-WTF-meme-face-70958233396.jpeg

:rolleyes:

The OP is doing calculations based on cost and not on MPG.
and lets be honest you could have a fuel that gives you 100mpg but if it costs £5 a litre then its pointless compared to a fuel which gives you 50mpg at £1.40 a litre

Shell was 140.9 per litre, tesco was 138.9

using these figures plus what you posted to begin with the difference between the two fuels would be huge about 16.25mpg more just from using shell fuel

Tesco fuel would give you about 47.34mpg at a cost of 13.3p per mile
Shell would give you about 63.61mpg at a cost of 10.1p per mile

it would make the Shell fuel 134.4% more efficient than tesco which is an improvement of more than a third.

most people talk a difference of 1-2mpg between fuels

I strongly suspect that somewhere you've got it wrong, probably with the amount of fuel left in the tank when you refueled and by differences in road conditions

Last edited:
Shell or BP. My Shell station is now BP. I don't like supermarket fuel because I have found a difference in the past, the car wasn't as responsive, and I get Nectar points with BP anyway.

I have no idea how much it costs exactly, but it is pretty competitive and anyway Asda is miles away and Tesco I can't bear. My filling station is two minutes away and on my way to everywhere.

Back