image2534.jpg

Panda (Classic) Serge - the Panda ST

Introduction

Well as some of you know I have bought purple haze's panda ST.

After VmanC had done some body work repairs myself and my dad Par made the long 240 mile trip to Panda HQ to collect it. What a journey, with interesting weather and long queues we finally made it at around 3pm (left home at around 9:30am!).

After showing my dad what Panda HQ is all about and showing him various Panda's in various states and a nice Lancia Y10 (@panda panda) we set back on the long journey taking the ST on what is most likely the longest journey it had ever been on.

We finally made it home sometime around 9:30pm. It was again a long and interesting journey but highly enjoyable. I'm rather surprised at how quick the panda is and how non existent the brakes are (although the air brake works just fine (y)). It's also crazy how new the gearbox feels, it took a while to get used to.

Anyway without blabbering any more here are some pictures:

A couple of Pics at Panda HQ:

image2537.jpg

image2538.jpg

Home safe and sound:

image2535.jpg

image2534.jpg

Grumpy panda also came for the journey and appears he actually enjoyed it!

image2536.jpg

I'll need to take some better pics in the light but here are some taken by Kev and Vern previously:

image2539.jpg

image2540.jpg

image2541.jpg
Also @VmanC don't forget to upload them photos

Here you go John/Neil......

As you can see the rear box section had gone on three sides.

The other side needed catching now too before it went the same way.

Once the grinding was carried out we could see that the LH side needed to be cut out and replaced with new metal. The RH side also needed cutting out further across than we originally thought, in the end we went beyond the round hole, re-drilling it once the new metal was welded in.

We now jump to the finished job as I went away for a few hours and came back to a stone chipped finish. The day after I painted over this with body colour, filled the box section with cavity wax, and re-fitted the bumper and lights.
Stone chip isn't the original finish but it's hidden by the bumper and should prove more durable in the future.

Last edited:
Bit of an update on Serge. We purchased some Oil and Coolant from Shop4Parts stand at Stanford Hall the other week. Managed to also get hold of new OEM; water pump, cambelt kit, thermostat, oil filter, vacuum advance (thanks to kolza) and a set of new HT Leads however the set of HT leads from Fiat are only the 4 not including the cable between the dizzy and the coil (n) but still on the lookout for an OEM one.
Par has also sent me this picture of his new toy:
IMG_20140710_185013.jpg

New update. We timed her up with the timing light and all was near enough spot on.

We decided to start doing the Cambelt change today. Didn't go too well.. First of all one of the bolts which hold on the aux belt pulley just would not budge. After a couple of hours of fighting we managed to get it off. It needs replacing as the head is buggered and it actually bent! Think it was close to snapping but thankfully it didn't!

Next issue was the Cambelt kit we got wasn't the correct one. Turns out the belt was for a panda 1991 onwards :( dads taking it back on Monday to try and get it replaced...

Anyhoo, good news is the thermostat and water pump have now been replaced.

Surprisingly the 25 year old belt was in good condition but it did have signs of perishing and cracking. But no where near as much as I expected!

Little bit of a Midish winter update. Had a run out on Serge last weekend and seemed fine. We inspected the tyres and despite plenty of tread left they are starting to perish and have side wall cracking. Me and Most Easterly Pandas had a look last weekend and only one of the tyres had a date on it and this was of 2005.

Me and Par have agreed to replace the tyres with 155/70's due to the impending Italy trip. We went for the 155/70's as these are only 1mm bigger on the radius that the 135/80's. We did look at 155/65's but these were -14mm on the radius!

We also took the back windows out so we could clean the rubbers as one side had what looked like green algae growing on it :\ maybe from it's many years living in a garage who knows.

We also have the oil to replace soon. We had purposefully left this this until after winter.

We worked out the panda hadn't been turned over since the 27th September! So a note to self is make sure we run it a little more often during winter :p

image.jpg

Only if you're going to go out and drive it for a bit, doesn't more harm than good starting it and just letting it idle etc without driving it as it doesn't get everything up to full temp apparently.
:yeahthat:

If you can't go for a drive because you don't insure or TAX over the winter then do a 'parking drive'. When Char' was off the road with no MOT or TAX I'd start her up from time to time, let her get up to 50c just idling and then I'd rev her up, hold them at like 2500 to simulate cruising, let the revs fall and repeat for a 10-15mins just whilst listening the stereo in the car. People walking by like at you like a weirdo but I'd essentially pretend to take Char' for a drive without ever really moving :eek:
Also a good way to test your coolant/fan operation ;)

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

If you can't go for a drive because you don't insure or TAX over the winter then do a 'parking drive'. When Char' was off the road with no MOT or TAX I'd start her up from time to time, let her get up to 50c just idling and then I'd rev her up, hold them at like 2500 to simulate cruising, let the revs fall and repeat for a 10-15mins just whilst listening the stereo in the car. People walking by like at you like a weirdo but I'd essentially pretend to take Char' for a drive without ever really moving :eek:
Also a good way to test your coolant/fan operation ;)

Even that isn't going to be any good, if you're not driving it and putting the engine under load I wouldn't start it at all unless you need to to move it etc.

Even that isn't going to be any good, if you're not driving it and putting the engine under load I wouldn't start it at all unless you need to to move it etc.

:stupid:

Yes I agree. Just been discussing Panda storage with Vernon, and I mentioned that the Super was left a year (mot to mot) with no use - started up no problems, drove to the next mot and passed. Panda's don't seem to mind being stood, all other things being equal. (y)

Back