Technical Self converted Ducato camper 1.9 jtd 2006 electrics cut out + won't start!

Currently reading:
Technical Self converted Ducato camper 1.9 jtd 2006 electrics cut out + won't start!

Love2dance

Hi there,
Taking the lad to school amd so I tried starting it just now as usual and the starter motor turned at first but then stopped with battery click and all the electrics had cut out. The in cab light and hazards won't come on. Remote central locking is not working. No clicks or anything when turning the key in the ignition.

The weather has been cold as its Winter now. But dont think it's just the battery, because as I say nothing is coming on at all. Yesterday it took slightly longer than the usual few seconds to start and it gets used daily for work.

It has a solar panel and control unit which usually has one house battery reading as full but now the led has stopped saying that. The solar panel control unit is still working and is connected up, so as to notice a change in the vehicle's electrics.

It had a 'new' used alternator fitted about 6 weeks ago by the previous owner and I've only had the van about 5 weeks. Electrics have been fine till now. I pulled a little bit on the main batteries positive side fittings which are wedged up into an inaccessible recess but all seems solid enough and the battery wouldn't move.
I'm not very technical and will have to call someone out.
I would be very grateful if there is any advice please to help me and the future readers?
Thank you very much.
Indi

Hi Indi

I am assuming that your Ducato is an X244 model with the vehicle battery under the bonnet, wedged in to one side.

The symptoms you describe are those of a battery going from nearly discharged to completely discharged. The solar panel setup will charge the habitation ("house") battery, but may or may not charge the vehicle battery as well. In any case, there won't be much charge available from a panel at this time of year.

If you have a mains supply available, you may be able to hook up the motorhome and use the onboard mains powered battery charger, if fitted. Again, this is primarily to charge the habitation battery but may have the facility to charge the vehicle battery as well, if you prod the right switches.

Alternatively, use a separate battery charger to recharge the vehicle battery, this should be possible in-situ.

This raises the question of why the battery is flat in the first place. Maybe you haven't been driving for sufficient hours for the alternator to replenish what's being taken out ? Or maybe the new alternator isn't working properly ? Is there an underlying problem which prompted alternator replacement ?

Hi Anthony,
Many thanks for your reply.
Yes its a x244 model.
I went for the easy option of just buying a new battery as at work today and Tuesday.
I ordered a multimeter too so can make sure it's charging and test some of the connections to the battery. (I also should also dig out my battery charger too)
I just presumed the simplest outcome, that the battery had just failed. So hopefully will be a quick fix.
It's more of a van than a motor home and doesn't have a hook up for any built in charging. If I understood right.
It was tricky to find a battery with the right positive front left connections.
I had been doing short journeys for a couple of weeks in this extra cold weather.
The old battery was a leisure one and maybe just it's time had come.
Will update after fitting the new one.
Happy driving and best wishes all.

Hi

I hope your new battery does the trick. Whilst doing the swap it's a good time to check that all the connections are wire brushed clean and tight. A very light smear of vaseline before assembly is worthwhile to keep damp out. You don't need gobs over the outside, that practice was from years ago when batteries free vented acidic fumes and the terminals corroded.

Leisure batteries vary, but they are optimised for higher capacity rather than starting engines, i.e. they are more suited for supplying medium current for many hours rather than very high currents for a short burst. The AH rating is the capacity, the CCA rating is for cold cranking and is perhaps more relevant for starting duties

When you get your voltmeter, put the probes on the battery terminals. At rest you should see about 12.5 volts. Once the engine is started and running, this should rise to something like 14.0 to 14.5 volts if charging is taking place from the alternator.

Multimeter is the way to go before any other guesses are accurate.

Is it just a single battery setup, or do you have separate leisure battery for the camper conversion? You mention leisure battery but if you are using a cheap one of those as the ONLY battery, it may not have been the correct spec to be able to start a cold diesel and has just given up.

You mention solar - what size panel and controller are you using? Solar this time of year is pathetic so may not cope with even minor constant loads.

Earth straps are also prone to go on later vans - and give similar symptoms, but not sure on these earlier ones.

I did not think that I could add to the advice already given. I am now however seriously concerned by the description of the replacement battery. I hope that it is just because I have misunderstood the OP's description of the battery terminal orientation. With the long side of the battery with the terminals facing you, the positive should be on the right. It seems that the failed battery may have had an incorrect terminal orientation, and that the positve pole mouted fusebox has somehow been twisted round to fit. (A correct battery for the x244 Ducato (2002 - 2006) has the positive pole towards the rear and centre of the vehicle.) This would explain.......
the main batteries positive side fittings which are wedged up into an inaccessible recess
If as has been suggested this is a single battery installation, and the battery is used for leisure puposes, then a dual purpose or marine battery should be considered. These batteries combine the starter and leisure capabilities.

Back