General Seicento Turbo revamp

Currently reading:
General Seicento Turbo revamp

Actually that;s a good point it is feeding the turbo :eek:

It can't of been that long since i've done anything on it :rolleyes:

Adapter take off what's that :confused:

EDIT:
Thinking of one of these somewhere in the cooler system..

m-tga-8po.jpg

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/O...P-GAUGE-ADAPTOR-1/2-PUSH-ON/product_info.html

Last edited:
What pressure is everyone else seeing? :confused:
again 20 to 40psi idle but 60 to 100psi on the move.

Laminovas push the oil pressure up a bit more than normal oil coolers though, remember the pressure is measuring resistance to oil flow not the actual flow rate.

Looking good,

You will suffer no pressure drop fitting a cooler that size, feck you could mount it on the roof and feel no pressure drop oil is under pretty high pressure in a car.

Pavlova's on a small power road car in a reasonable warm country where oil heats up quickly, pointless. Absolutely pointless, if they were up to much big power cars would run them and know for a fact the 900+bhp Norris Mitsi doesn't nor does any high power integrale of Celica GT4 that I know of including the 1200bhp Greece integrale hillclimb champion and 201mph Fensport Toyota Corolla running GT4 drive train.

Pavlova's on a small power road car in a reasonable warm country where oil heats up quickly, pointless. Absolutely pointless, if they were up to much big power cars would run them and know for a fact the 900+bhp Norris Mitsi doesn't nor does any high power integrale of Celica GT4 that I know of including the 1200bhp Greece integrale hillclimb champion and 201mph Fensport Toyota Corolla running GT4 drive train.

So, better engine protection, re-useability and better packaging = pointless? Do tell! To be sure, there are valid reasons (amongst them financial ones) for sticking with technology from the late 19th century rather than the 1930s, but none of them are de facto good ones. Many, many. competition cars run them: those that don't would benefit. You might as well dismiss desmodromic valve gear because no-one currently fits it on a car.

Imo if space is a problem up front for an oil cooler it can be moved and add a cooling fan with a temp switch problem posted cheap lol
i remember kept 15+years ago brother thought he kept slowing head gasket on his mk2 golf and after lot of searching it was the water to oil cooler that was fect
keeping it simple is the easy way in the long run
great work jamie still think for the love of centos you should do my car lol im saving for insurance now dr10 dont come cheap
Zak

So, better engine protection, re-useability and better packaging = pointless? Do tell! To be sure, there are valid reasons (amongst them financial ones) for sticking with technology from the late 19th century rather than the 1930s, but none of them are de facto good ones. Many, many. competition cars run them: those that don't would benefit. You might as well dismiss desmodromic valve gear because no-one currently fits it on a car.

Renault 5 turbo's run oil/water coolers as standard, the whole front rad does both, but on all the Cup cars which of course were built by Renault Sport ditched this set up used the diesel rad as its same size as the Turbo rad but cools only water so more cooling efficiency and fit separate oil cooler, all big power R5's do this to this day.

Mg Metro's, and MG Metro turbo's also run oil water coolers as do MK2 Golf GTi's, yet on newer VAG products oil coolers are used.

WRC car's use separate oil coolers, sure they must know what they are doing.

F1 cars use separate oil coolers, I know I've been round the Renault F1 factory in a closed to public tour through someone I know whoworks there, and seen were they are built, beautifully handmade by one person who gets paid handsomely, and were they are placed on the car. You have to say they are at pinnacle of motorsport technology and know what they are doing.

I'm not saying that there uses are not good, but not really needed, you start off with water heating up quicker so heats up oil, which is nice, but when you think that on some modern cars like 1.6 turbo engine in Pug/MINI the oil runs at 140degrees, do you really want that heat transfered back to water, not when you want water to be kept at about 90degrees.

Standard oil coolers are more efficent at cooling the oil if you have the space for them.

The problem I had is the front of my Sei was too cramped, the rad was to small for the thermal output of the engine, we couldn't put a fluid cooler anywhere near the turbo or the exhaust and putting an oil cooler in front of the rad meant it needed to be even bigger & now there was front bumper clearence issues. The solution was simple fit the oversized rad and used a water/oil heat exchanger. The rad aims to drop the water temp to 70C, which when the engine is up to temp means the oil temp is held to around 110C & water is at 85 to 90C.

Standard oil coolers are more efficent at cooling the oil if you have the space for them.

Pretty much what i'd typed and lost when my internet connection went off. Only thing i would add, oil to water is good idea (imo) if an oil cooler is likely to be struck by debris. If you have a rock go through a water / oil cooler than it would not be as catastrophic as a rock going through a traditional oil cooler.

The physics are pretty complicated when you consider the situation in its entirety.

Water is a much more effective conductor of heat than air, by several magnitudes. that, after all, is why people dropped into the sea at 0C die almost instantly while people survive for much longer at 0C in still air. If you don't believe me, try it. ;)

But, in the case of a car you have -- for water/oil -- to consider both the capacity of the water to remove heat from the oil and the air to remove heat from the water.

Equally, in the case of air/oil you have to consider the airflow.

Formula 1 stuff -- technically advanced, though it is -- bears no real relationship to other car competition. Here, aerodynamics are God, and you can't even risk starting them before oil and water are up to temperature. The whole thing is governed by rules which encourage only innovation on a nano level.

Many manufacturers have used water/oil only to drop it because of issues with the cost and reliability of the oil in radiatator systems -- the Alfa ones, at least, have a reputation for corroding because some chump decided to use steel. :eek: I wonder, do these guys live on the planet Zarg or were the penny counters sitting at their elbow?

Jamie's car, though, because it is so air flow challenged, seemed to me almost the perfect case for Laminova. Even without the oil cooler it's got a compromised intercooler.

I've seen ads for little pear shaped inserts to fit into the intake system -- post turbo -- of cars. These are fed by liquid CO2 and act as charge coolers -- so it is claimed. Not exactly sensible on a street car, as there's no recovery system. But given a portable air conditioning plant to drag around I wonder if they could be fitted up to the air con unit? :idea:

Good news on the Sei front :D
Jamie has finally seen the light and decided to sell the 205 and keep the Sei :slayer: Can't wait to be back in my little car. The 205 drinks more petrol taking me to work than I actually earn and is so loud it makes your eardrums bleed. Oh to be back in the comfort of non-leather seats and a proper sized steering wheel... mmm and powersteering :D:D:D It's starting to look lovely... anyone want to donate me some glitter paint to finish it off :)

As interesting as the Laminova's are and quite possibly better i'm sticking with a traditional oil cooler to go with my compromised intercooler ;)

Kirsty- Go away :p it's not being sold until something worthy is replacing it (Integra maybe :yum:)

Anyway no updates yet awaiting delveries :)

Back