Technical Seicento sound 2003, 1100 oil leak.

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento sound 2003, 1100 oil leak.

Terry Wells

Help please. Had a frontal bump, lightish! Replaced the bumper and radiator (other car had a towbar). The car now has a bad oil leak when hot. Seems to be below the carb, but cannot find it. Not using water. Is there a pipe that could have fractured?

Does your engine has the pipe from the oil fumes returning to the air hose?
But don't think that can produce serious oil leak even when very hot.

Is the oil leak just under the carb/ throttle body at the top of the engine or below it lower down

The only two things I can think of are Oil filter damaged (lower down) or it has somehow disturbed the rocker cover gasket ( top of engine)

Thank you for your replies. I have checked the breather pipes and oil filter, all OK. I think it is the can/rocker gasket, so have just ordered one on eBay. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Still a leak! I'm sure that the cam cover is OK. The oil is being thrown over the suspension. It could be leaking from the dipstick, is this possible, or from the crankshaft seal and be thrown up on top of sump. Is a crank seal easy?

If it's throwing oil/fumes out of the dipstick, that's a sign of a worn engine. The exhaust gases find their way past the worn piston/rings and pressurise the sump. The gases need somewhere to escape - the dipstick is usually one escape point.

I would doubt very much that you have a worn engine..

To change a crankshaft seal the engine or gearbox has to be removed. If your crankshaft seal is leaking, oil usually blows rearward along the length of the car simply because of the wind flow when the car is moving, and smears the bottom of the bellhousing/gearbox.

If the side of your engine is being coated in oil I doubt very much if it is the crankshaft seal.

Bear in mind that with an oil leak wind turbulence and momentum of the car can throw it everywhere. Why not take your car to a jet wash and blast the engine? Then let the car tick over and see if you can locate the oil leak.

Where's rallycing when you need him?

Thank you. The leak seems to be above the sump, at the back, near the cambelt. Could this be the head gasket?. I could get a garage to do a pressure test. The car is not using water, but the oil leak is bad. Why should the bump cause this?

Oil can leak from a head gasket, yes. Though to be honest, it's usually a 'weep' or a drip - not a big oil leak as you describe. Depending where there is a tear/damage in a head gasket, a car can either leak coolant to atmosphere, oil to atmosphere or oil-water mixed inside the head/gasket. The latter is called a 'blown head/gasket'. You obviously don't have that.

It's difficult to see why a bump causes an oil leak. The only thing that crosses my mind is that the sump has been nudged and is no longer seating properly/damaged. Are you absolutely positive that you had no oil leak BEFORE the bump?

Other than that, an oil leak is usually caused by a gasket/seal failure.

Can you clean the engine and get underneath with a torch whilst the engine is ticking over? You need to identify where the leak is coming from before you can do anything about it. Just a note of caution .. don't drive the front wheels up diy ramps and let the engine tick over. Because of the angle of the engine the oil pump won't pick up oil from the sump and things will seize. I speak from experience..

Remember that oil drips down .. I'm not making a joke .. but .. you're looking for the highest point on the engine where you can identify the leak. It can be a messy business indeed.

If push comes to shove, take your car to a workshop (or call a mobile mechanic) and ask them to identify the cause of the oil leak. Sometimes it's worth paying a few quid for a diagnosis rather than stumbling around in the dark. Once you have a diagnosis you can decide whether you do the job or let somebody else do it.

Get under the car with the engine running/torch and try and find the source of the leak. It's frustrating and annoying, I know .. but just remember that we all go through this sort of problem. I have a 1994 900cc Cinquecento that is a hypochondriac. 30,000 miles from new and I've had to replace most things. Tomorrow I'll need to remove the head because of a knocking/rattle.

Don't worry unduly - you'll suss things out eventually.

Last edited:
Hi Glenn, thank you for your support. You can obviously feel my stress! My wife loves her car, or we really should have scrapped it after the bump. I'm certain it wasn't leaking before. The recovery people were probably not too careful. I cannot figure where the leak is coming from (maybe the cam cover gasket is still leaking) anyway I'm going to take your advice and take it to my local repairer, for them to check it out. I will let you know the outcome.

I have taken the car to my local repairer. He has found that the engine block has cracked at the rear engine mount. I think that the tow bar of the other vehicle must have hit the engine. So she will be going to the Fiat scrapyard in the sky!

Such is life. The moral of the story is never to drive into a car with a towbar ...

Why not break the car for spares? There's the sensors .. exhaust .. injection system... etc .. You'd be able to recoup a bit of money - then send the car to the breakers.

Back