Technical Sei sounding like a tractor

Currently reading:
Technical Sei sounding like a tractor

telabadmanwot

Got my oil and filter changed, now it sounds like a tractor.

Was told the bosch oil filter car parts 4 less sent didn't fit.

The car sounded fine before it went in. The oil used was castrol gtx high mileage stuff, been using this to top it up for the last couple of years.

What the hell could it be?

ASDA do a semi synthetic 10-40 which will be a lot cheaper than GTX.
The Asda semi synth is £16 for 5 litres. But 1 Litre bottles of GTX are £4.00 at Asda at the moment. Cheaper than buying the 4 litre bottles which are still £21.00.

Last oil I got was FULLY synth from EuroCarParts and it was £12.49 using their click and collect service. I was a bit dubious before I bought it but when I took our Sei for its MOT the garage were putting the same oil in a huge 12 plate BMW so I asked them about it and they said they use it all the time (and no they're not a particularly cheapskate garage).
Occasionally EuroCarParts also do an offer with a free filter and I got a free Bosch filter with mine.

Ian.

The Asda semi synth is £16 for 5 litres. But 1 Litre bottles of GTX are £4.00 at Asda at the moment. Cheaper than buying the 4 litre bottles which are still £21.00.

Last oil I got was FULLY synth from EuroCarParts and it was £12.49 using their click and collect service. I was a bit dubious before I bought it but when I took our Sei for its MOT the garage were putting the same oil in a huge 12 plate BMW so I asked them about it and they said they use it all the time (and no they're not a particularly cheapskate garage).
Occasionally EuroCarParts also do an offer with a free filter and I got a free Bosch filter with mine.

Ian.

:O you sure it was fully syth you got ? I just checked as that sounds like a great price for fully.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...ineoils/10w40-engine-oil/?521776011&0&cc5_245

That's the exact same price but only semi :(?

Ming

Yep, fully synth. Part number 521776031 or http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...gineoils/5w40-engine-oil/?521776031&0&cc5_248

I didn't use this in our Sei. I used 10/40 for that but at the time I ordered they had a code for a free filter so I got one for the Sei. Strangely though you could choose the filter yourself so I got the Bosch one which was about a fiver at the time.

Thing with EuroCarParts is that you have to constantly use codes to get the best price but now and then they just do away with the codes and still have the same price (like at the moment, there may even be a banner about it at the top of this page). It can be bloody annoying at times and I wish they would just have a price and stick to it without having to fanny about with codes. Think you also have to do click and collect to get the best price but they also do free delivery.

Ian.

Just had a look and it seems they don't do a fully synth 10/40 other than in 1 litre bottles. Silly.

Last edited:
Yep, fully synth. Part number 521776031 or http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...gineoils/5w40-engine-oil/?521776031&0&cc5_248

I didn't use this in our Sei. I used 10/40 for that but at the time I ordered they had a code for a free filter so I got one for the Sei. Strangely though you could choose the filter yourself so I got the Bosch one which was about a fiver at the time.

Thing with EuroCarParts is that you have to constantly use codes to get the best price but now and then they just do away with the codes and still have the same price (like at the moment, there may even be a banner about it at the top of this page). It can be bloody annoying at times and I wish they would just have a price and stick to it without having to fanny about with codes. Think you also have to do click and collect to get the best price but they also do free delivery.

Ian.

Just had a look and it seems they don't do a fully synth 10/40 other than in 1 litre bottles. Silly.

Am really tempted to stock up on this !! lol

Ming

Am really tempted to stock up on this !! lol

Ming
Wait until they do the free filter offer again. I think I paid something like £12.79 or so for 5 litres with a free Bosch filter. Like I say their offers change all the time but the prices don't, they all come back to being pretty much the same give or take a penny or two. It's all kidology to make you think you're getting a better deal. Though I suppose when there's a free filter you are getting a better deal!

Ian.

Back