Tipo (Classic) Sedicivalvole

Currently reading:
Tipo (Classic) Sedicivalvole

GeorgeS

I bought a Sedicivalvole yesterday, it works but only just. :D so far I have identified the following jobs that need doing.

drivers window relay
oil changes /all fluids
new steering rack
brakes and suspension overhaul
derust and respray superfifcial spots, derust sunroof parts

Apart from that its really great:eek:

I brought one two years ago, turned into a bit of a money pit. I love it though and had a second hand engine fitted then found low oil pressure, so new main bearings + disks all round, two new calipers, new steering rack, brake pipes, new yoko tyres all round and a replacement door + bonnet ( both resprayed). Drove it for six months and its a great car, but when the bad snow came, I laid it up for the winter and brought a £800 Bravo hgt for a while. The bravo, just wasn't as good a car, the Tipo handles really well and quite quick, just shame about the standard sports seats. Unfortunately, its been sat for a year, but starts first time, when my wife makes me move it. Just waiting until I can get a quote low enough on classic insurance. Hope you don't do what I've done, and drive and enjoy it. If you need spares, there a chap in Derby who breaks them, and sells the parts cheap. Post some picks mate, they're a stunning car. Mine hopefully will be back on the road next spring, if I can stop myself driving my other car which is a Megane trophy.

Thanks MJ, very useful info. Spares seem to be hard to get. The most worrying now is the dry bearing noise coming from the engine. I suspect and hope it is the water pump and nothing more. I am collecting parts to attempt a cambelt change, which along with a new water pump I hope will solve the problem. The starter too sound terrible- but it works. I am struggling to get the driver side e window to budge so the door is going to have to come apart. I solved a few minor issues on it yesterday including getting the original radio working!

Thanks MJ, very useful info. Spares seem to be hard to get. The most worrying now is the dry bearing noise coming from the engine. I suspect and hope it is the water pump and nothing more. I am collecting parts to attempt a cambelt change, which along with a new water pump I hope will solve the problem. The starter too sound terrible- but it works. I am struggling to get the driver side e window to budge so the door is going to have to come apart. I solved a few minor issues on it yesterday including getting the original radio working!

whip the fan belt / alternator drive belt off for 2 mins and see if the noise is still there,
DRY belts can make an awful din,
and Alternators are very poorly insulated from damp / corrosion,(n)
charlie

whip the fan belt / alternator drive belt off for 2 mins and see if the noise is still there,
DRY belts can make an awful din,
and Alternators are very poorly insulated from damp / corrosion,(n)
charlie
I cured that problem by changing the 'alternator' belt for a very slightly longer one, then the noise came back 3 months later, when a Fiat garage replaced it while they were fitting a new timing belt.
I was most annoyed at having to buy another belt, making 3 inside one year, but at least it doesn't screech any more.

The chap in Derby always has an ad on eBay, usually a red Tipo in the ad, he's a nice bloke. Regarding the window, my drivers side plays up, I've had a look at, greased it, but some times its good, sometimes I have to repeatedly press the button and it goes down about 1cm each time.
Has yours got working remote central locking? I keep meaning to fit a new remote kit, but I'm not good with electrics.
Still need some pics mate

Hi MJ, I managed to get the window going today but not perfectly and I attempted to get the Central Locking going, it worked but there is a foible and it is interfering with more than one other circuit. I was working under time pressure so no pictures this time. The door will I think have to come off again anyway. The central locking is working but has the default setting permanently locked. That means if you open from the outside you have about 1 tenth of a second to open the door!

By the sound of my starter, I cannot believe the teeth are engaging, but lo and behold it just fires up! I hope this continues.

Hi Vares, thanks for the good steer, I have indeed found the alternator/belt seems to be one source of noise. Am going to adjust tension now. does anybody possibly know the OEM spec of the alternator? I am not even sure the correct one is fitted in my car. :)

Hi Vares, thanks for the good steer, I have indeed found the alternator/belt seems to be one source of noise.
Ya don't say.

Am going to adjust tension now.
I tried that, it didn't work for long.
See post #7 for the best way to fix the problem, but make sure not to buy a cheapo belt.

does anybody possibly know the OEM spec of the alternator? I am not even sure the correct one is fitted in my car. :)
Does it keep the battery charged?
If so, don't sweat the small stuff. Ö¿Ö

Last edited:
Hi George.

3 door or 5 door?

The chap in Derby is my pal Gary - he is the "go to guy" for 16v parts and advice and currently runs 2 of them a 3 and 5 door. I am sure he will post on here soon to introduce himself.

Central locking problem will probably be a duff door solenoid or the fusebox - or both - been there"!!

The comment about the seats is a good one - lucxky for me I have the recaros.

MIKE

What recaros you got?is it the standard from a 5 door (guessing its a 5 door you own). Has anyone with a sedici got cheap classic insurance? I tried to get a cheap quote 2 years ago as don't want to do many miles in mine, but I was still quoted close to £500! I was a bit shocked as fully comp on my Megane 225 trophy is only £220. Any tips or suggestions of insurers would be welcome

George .. congrats on the new Tipo .. hope you don't mind me asking .. but what model is it 3/5 door.. what reg and what did you pay for her.. cheers .

In answer to the above post - yes car is a standard 5 door but has the optional "real" Recaros fitted as opposed to the standard Sedici seats which are not Recaro just unique to the 5 door.

As to cheap insurance I would try Peter Jones ( he used to be the Jones bit of Footman Jones) - he's great to deal with, and my Classic cover which gives me 1500 miles a year, agreed value £1500 cost £123 per annum. Mind you I am in my early 50s so that makes a difference! Belonging to a recognised car club also counts - I am a member of the Fiat Motor Club. Try them!

By the way if anyone is loking for some very good condition 16v 5 door seats I have a full set in my loft.

CHEERS MIKE

Back