Technical Sedici Air-Con Stopped?

Currently reading:
Technical Sedici Air-Con Stopped?

Nello

Established member
Our Sedici has been performing perfectly until today when we got in it and tried the Air-con. Had been working great - really cold but now does not seem to work? The light comes on on the dial but I cannot hear the 'click' of the compressor? The belt that runs the compressor seems to be running all the time? Is this right - never checked before? Untill now it had been perfect?
Checked the manual and mentions a relay under the bonnet - tried to swap with the identical one which runs the foglights but still does not work? No mention of any fuse anywhere? Cannot see any loose wires? Anyone any ideas? I'm presuming it must be a connection type issue as the compressor does not make that familiar click when you hit the dash button as if its not being asked to start? It was great the previous day so not a leak etc. Does the belt run continuously whether the Air-con is on or not? Can anyone with an Eleganza check pleasE?!!!

I'm sure theres gas - it worked perfectly 12 hours earlier but theres definately no 'click' which you always hear when you turn it on to signify the compressors running.....

Now I'm confused. Have had my JTD dynamic for about 3 months and have never thought the air-con was any good - or maybe it just isn't working? I get a small click but just the button I thought - nothing like a fridge/compressor click.
My friend's repmobile's aircon has the car like a fridge in minutes but even with the fans on full in the sedici it's still pretty warm in the car after about 20 minutes. Does this sound right?

The Sedici's Air-con unit worked well for us until this issue. You can always hear the click of the Compressor clutch kicking in just after you press the button. If not you may have the same issue as me - first thing to do is get the refrigerant checked for pressure.
They do need re-gassing every once in a while and we're hoping our pressure is just low.
Can anyone confirm there is a low pressure sensor on the Sedici setup?

I have just bought a Sedici multijet and aircon wasn't working so the car dealer told me to take it to a local aircon place. They did pressure test and the hose on the left hand side of the engine has been chafed through . It rubbed through on a metal bracket near the pipe. I will have another look tomorrow but it looks like a poor design in that area. I need a replacement rubber hose and then a regas. Also possibly a piece of metal to protect the hose. So I guess if the pipe slowly wore through the gas would suddenly disappear and aircon stop working as described.

Anyone know where to get spares besides a fiat dealer?

Every car A/C system has a low pressure sensor to prevent damage.
It's quite normal to have the system top up with R134A gas every 2-4 years.
In fact it should be serviced et least every 2- 3 years.
The cooling gas evaporates to a certain point where the low pressure sensor switches the system down.
More info on www.autoacforum.com

OK had the system checked yesterday. There was absolutley no refrigerant registering any pressure at all in the system?!! Must be a leak but the car was pressure tested at 200psi for 20 mins and held pressure with no loss? Must be a very slow leak but slightly confused why there was nothing in the system at all when it had worked prior to that the day before? Anyway its been refilled and dye added to spot any leaks - we'll see how long it lasts but back to icy cold for now.........least the compressor is ok which was my big worry. One other thing that again demonstrates the scarcity of these cars - the Air-con place had absolutely no records of Sedici's listed on any of their systems to refeference how much refrigerant to add in? ...Anyone know the correct amount?

Air-con place had absolutely no records of Sedici's listed on any of their systems to refeference how much refrigerant to add in? ...Anyone know the correct amount?[/quote said:
Would they have something listed under the Suzuki Sx4?

OK just to revive this - The refilled system lasted until now (9 months!) and the dye shows all around the Low Pressure valve used to re-fill. Cannot find a hole so it seems the valve itself was the cause. Anyway I have removed the entire pipe (the long one that goes from the rubber one into the compressor around the back of the engine to the mating in the bulkhead. Have to take to my local FIAT dealer as apparently the numbers on the sticker do not match up with whats on eper and the diagram is very unclear.
Will update with cost price! Ho-Hum....anther day...........

If the car has the 1.9 JTD everything will be the same as the Doblo ELX I'd have thought.

No probs for me in seven years and re-gassed once, and then not really needed.

I do use it all the time though. However, it has never given sub-arctic cold, but then the Doblo has a large greenhouse and a huge volume to cool.

Was definately excessive - when I removed the hose at the Compressor end I noticed the rubber 'O' ring inside had been sliced in half. Ordered a new pipe - £67 from Fiat...............

If you mean the Low Pressure Valve then maybe - the dye added was all over the pipe steming from around the LP valve but its integral to the main pipe itself and you cannot replace separately. Parts at Grays in Warwick said they can go where the valves join and you get a hair-line crack barely visible. Have refitted all now so need to get tested and re-gassed - will report back!

OK has a pressure test and its still leaking?! The guy says the pipe is now sorted with no leaks but he reckons the discoloration on the front of the Condenser means the leaks probably there.........They want £250 to change that?! £95 part....hmmmm shall I try that myself too...

aircon terms are a bit confusing but by condenser do you mean what looks like another radiator? seems possible to DIY but remember parts of the aircon system are under very high pressure so you will need to be sure all the refrigerant has been removed. You could try a sealant.
I think the regular regassing requirement is a myth as if so millions of cars are discharging refrigerant into the atmosphere continuously.
My 1995 (bought 1997) MX5's aircon works fine and has never needed regassing; likewise my 2001 Marea.
The refrigerant also act as a lubricant for the seals so if not used at least once a week the seals dry out and leak.
Compressor belt turns continuously and there is an electromagnetic clutch to engage the mechanism hence the click.

Back