Security Tips for your Car and Install

Currently reading:
Security Tips for your Car and Install

The Devil

1. park in well lit busy areas. Theives like not to be seen usually.

2. Avoid multi-story car parks unless they are "secure" ones. One I use has loads of CCTV and guards and an award for security from the AA. I've even seen one where a cage comes down round your car!

3. don't drive round with your system up and your windows down, especially if you have a distinctive car.

4. remove your HU face and don't keep it in the glove box.

5. disable the red LED on the HU (if fitted) as this is just an advert for theives.

6. My favourite - always park next to a much more expensive car! The theives will often miss yours out completely!

7. avoid steets with broken glass on the pavement...

8. fit an alarm, immobiliser, steering wheel lock, gear lever lock, etc, etc.

9. a switch or relay in the LT circuit with a hidden switch under the dash is a cheap and effective secondary immobiliser.

10. detatchable steering wheel - remove the king lead / rotor arm when parking up at home over night.

11. Don't have a sticker for the brand of alarm you have fitted - no point in giving the thieves a clue as to how to defeat it. Toad alarm users fit Clifford stickers, Clifford users use Cobra stickers, etc.

12. Fit two separate systems - from different makers one for alarm and one for immobiliser.

13. Don't drive a Nova or Mk2 Fiesta plastered with Kenwood & Alpine stickers...

14. Stealth install - what they can't see they won't nick.

15. don't leave bags or other tempting items in the car. They'll smash your window for them then spot the install when they're in there... I've known of a van broken into for 40 fags left on the dash...

16. De-lock it.

17. Deadlock it (a set of £10 Cosmic dead locks saved my old Cortina a number of times!)

18. flush fit lock pins. Theres off-the shelf conversions for older Fords.

19. getting serious - older cars - weld a bracket into the door above the lock mechanism to stop people "fishing" them open.

20. Fuel cut off valves. Available from the people who do "Dis-Car-Nect" They're like a tap that fits in the fuel line. No petrol, no drive away...

21) If you're into your ICE, try not to go too mad on exterior styling, as this is generally an advert for what type of person owns the car.

22) See if you can fit brackets around your HU that lock down when not in use. Some cars come with covers which hide whatever's underneath - use them!

23) Invest in one of those high-visibility crooklocks that go around your steering wheel and gear stick. Yes, some thiieves may be able to get them off in twenty seconds flat, but they are a good deterrent against the casual thief.

24) A sticker which says "this car has a Thatcham category 1 alarm and immobiliser" is more likely to deter people than an enormous Clifford sticker.

25) Tracker devices are useful - Not sure if this is true, but I've heard of a device which can basically offer remote control of the car, so if it does get nicked, you simply call your alarm, and it shuts the whole thing down.

26) The US Air Force spends $3.2 billion on every Stealth Bomber they buy. They do this for a reason...what you can't see, you can't steal.

27) Look at your car. Ask yourself the following question: "Would I steal that?". If the answer is yes, then you can be pretty sure that there are a few thousand other people who would do as well.

28) Don't brag about your system. Sure, show it off to friends, but in most cases it's people who you know that steal stuff.

29) You can buy a film to treat your windows with that makes them much harder to break. It costs a few quid, but then it is silly to spend a grand on a ystem and then moan about spending £100 to help stop it getting nicked.

30) If you've got an expensive install, it's worth telling your insurance company. It must be one of the worst feelings in the world knowing that some thieving scrote has swiped your ICE and beaten up your pride and joy, but it's a double blow if you then find you're not gonna be able to claim for it.

If anyone has anymore to add please feel free.

Jamie

Fiat Bravo 2001.
Nakamichi CD40z/Stock HU
Directed 1500 Dual Input EQ
Stinger Dream Series Interconnects.
Rockford Fos Punch 100z2 Per Door.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25 Comps.
4 Directed Dei1100d's Cerwin Vega Stroker 18D2.
Predicted SPL - 160+Db

with all that done you would have to leave the house 9hrs before you want
to go out.

Why not buy a pitbull and let it live in your car

Gaz6649™

Live Fast, Die Hard

Anything is worth a try when like me you can have several thousand pounds worth of stereo equipment in your car.

Jamie

Fiat Bravo 2001.
Nakamichi CD40z/Stock HU
Directed 1500 Dual Input EQ
Stinger Dream Series Interconnects.
Rockford Fos Punch 100z2 Per Door.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25 Comps.
4 Directed Dei1100d's Cerwin Vega Stroker 18D2.
Predicted SPL - 160+Db

im with craignorton wire the car up to a very pwerful battery SO THE WHOLE CAR IS LIVE then make sure your there when a thief tries to break in so you can see him fry to death and pay for all the harm he has caused to other innocent people who just want to have fun with cars etc

The younger modder

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by craignorton2002
WIRE THE CHASIS TO THE BATERY SO THE WHOLE CAR IS LIVE. HAHAHAHA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

not too up on auto-electronics are ya? the chasis is already wire to the battery ;)

Those are interesting tips to protect the car when you're away from it, but what can we do in case of a robbery[:(!][?]I know the most simple thing is to give the robber the car's keys, but isn't there any alternative[?]

im gonna have to get a bigger handbag if i gotta take the stearing wheel off as well. just had to get one for the safe storage of keys, purse, head unit, locking nut thingy and all my other stuff. wont be able to carry it soon.
:(

sexy black 3 door punto with wild yellow interior.

You all forgot the number one security tip...

poo. Thats right, poo.

Would you steal a car with a steaming great pile of poo on the drivers seat?

Go to a joke shop and buy a fake plastic poo and stick it on the drivers seat before you leave the car.

Matt

54 BHP of pure italian muscle

hmm, sum good suggestions, about those deadlocks, where might one purchase some, and would it be possible to wire em up to yer central locking so that they autolock when your car does

------------------
Pete
------------------
Cruisewilmslow.vispa.com

After taking all ur advise about security and wireing up my car i have created da ultimate knight ryder / punto and i keep it in a underground bunker so i have nothing to worrie about. and when i leave my puntoryder i tye 3 big metal chains through my steeting weel out of my sunroof so no fat bastards can climb through to a lampost[8D]

Punto 1.6 Turbo

I don't think I've ever laughed so much at some of the replies on here. Seriously though, theere are some good ideas on here. The fake poo is a good one. I have a couple of cheapo stearign locks. one for £2.99 from poundstretcher that goes across the wheel and one that i nicked off my dad that goes round the clutch pedal and the steering wheel. some little bastard will always try something though

Sie

Black 96P Cinq Sporting

Back