DSCI2132.JPG

Panda (Classic) SEAT Marbella (Mk1 Panda replica).

Re: SEAT Marbella (Mk1 Panda replica)

Hi, just came across this thread again after a couple of months.

Really like the wheels, especially the grey and silver effect. What size tyres did you use? (y)

They are 185/55 r14. I chose Falkens, and am quite pleased with them so far. Plenty of grip for road use certainly. Look forward to putting them throught their paces in the new year.

Si

Well, more to report. Last sunday I ran at the car screaming! And here it is....

Say byebye to 903cc.... :( (I do like these engines, nice and revvy but now torque :( )
DSCI2237.JPG

AAAlmost out!
DSCI2239.JPG

Gone! Boy is the car light with no engine, can push it with a couple of finders almost!....
DSCI2242.JPG

Here is the new engine ready to go in. A lancia Y10 turbo engine. And I have to say that the trolly its sitting on was the best buy of the year!!! I was able to cart the engines about all by myself :slayer:
DSCI2244.JPG

Ok then, lets try to fit it in the top ( I had my doubts tbh!). And got it about half way down before discovering its impossible!!
DSCI2245.JPG

Ok...so I guess I'll have to lift the car over the engine instead :devil::slayer:...
DSCI2250.JPG

I had to spread the old girls legs so to speak to get it in though. Should be a simple case of lifting and bolting her in place now. Then I can refit the suspesion and anti-roll bar assembly and bobs your uncle!! I am dead excited now, cant wait for next weekend! I'll be out there if its snowing :slayer:

That was enough for the day, not having eaten a bite or had much to drink other than a coffee!!
DSCI2253.JPG

Watch this space!
Si

Nice one!

Are the mounts gonna line up with yours then?

Well, not exactly. I do need to make some modifications to the left engine mount. I am concerned more about drive shafts mating up correctly. But I have the Y10 driveshafts so it should be simple enough.

Do you think that marbella driveshafts would be risky to use with this engine? I supose I may aswell replace them with the y10 ones, its not a lot more effort (sorry, thinking out loud here).

Over all, its not looking like an impossible task.....but early days yet.

Si

Wouldn't worry about the torque though the Marbella shafts. Be more worried that they fit right.

As you say, shove the Y10 ones in and then stop worrying.

I forgot how powerless my car was after 1 week of having it away from me hehe :)

There goes you saying 'this little beast has stuff to squirt yet'
:LOL:

Well this is a surprise!

If these Y10's are supposed to be so rare, where are you people getting all your parts from :confused:;).

Don't know much about the Y10 turbo engine, does it have engine management, what sort of power will you have?

Good luck with the install, you must be keen to be out in the cold and dark. :slayer:

Well this is a surprise!

If these Y10's are supposed to be so rare, where are you people getting all your parts from :confused:;).

Don't know much about the Y10 turbo engine, does it have engine management, what sort of power will you have?

Good luck with the install, you must be keen to be out in the cold and dark. :slayer:

haha, well there will allways be barn finds from time to time.....and as it happens it was in a barn when I went to collect so....

the engine will hopefully develop 80-85hp, 120Nm torque, assuming I get it all working properly! :devil::slayer:

I am very keen tbh, to the point of eating twice a day to make the most of daylight!! Anyway progress to report coming soon....

Today was partially productive....

Got the back gearbox mount secured. The plan here is to use this to align the position of the engine in the engine bay. It seems the two main engine/gearbox mounts left and right are completely different!!...
DSCI2255.JPG

Once the back mount was on, I begun to align the engine with the gearbox side mount. I am using the original marbella mount bracket as the Y10 one has the wrong bolt pattern. Ideally wanting to avoid too much drilling of new holes!! (i.e. RUST)
DSCI2264.JPG

Unfortunately the left hand engine mount is very far forward compared to the original marbella one so I will have to fabricate a completely new bracket somehow. I have a few ideas, mainly involving adaptions of the original Y10 bracket...
DSCI2260.JPG

DSCI2257.JPG

This bracket will need to be modified (i'll try to be a bit more proffesional than a big hammer and a blow torch!!)...
DSCI2259.JPG

Tomorrow, I will hopefully get the engine fully mounted and if there is any spare time the Y10 drive shafts in place too! Then its plain sailing....right??? :eek:

Si

my word, just looked in and you have been busy:eek:
Y10 turbo engine eh, there's a rare find. Just a carb and a turbo innit? nice(y)

Just a carb for the moment, once I am happy with it all though I'll be getting an injection system for it. Not sure from what though, although I did think maybe a metro turbo inj could be suitable....

Thats a story for another day...
Si

Well another day in the trenches, and I have 2.5 out of 3 engine mounts fitted :devil:

The RH gearbox mount had me stumped for most of the day, but eventually I settled on a spacer made out of a punto alternator pulley. It was just the right size :D
DSCI2265.JPG

DSCI2267.JPG

One of the main problems I came accross was setting the position of gearbox. I had no point of reference as the marbella's gearbox was almost completely different and a great deal smaller and also there are differences on the chassis too. Does anyone think this looks wrong? Using a maintenance manual for a lancia y10 as a guide and my 4x4, i think its about right....
DSCI2266.JPG

Made a start on the LH engine mount too, had to bend the bracket up as it was incompatible with the "panda" inner wing. The lancia's is about 15-20mm lower. DOH!
DSCI2268.JPG

This was a last minute find in the parts bin, an exhaust mount from the 4x4, might do the job but will try to find something better and not waste a good spare part...
DSCI2269.JPG

And here's the engine in situe...
DSCI2271.JPG

Thats todays achievements, feel like an early night now! :eek:

Si

Last edited:

Hi SI,

10/10 just for getting out there in this chilly weather!

Like your green approach by recycling whatever you can find. (y)

Thanks, I am having a spell of motivation at the moment so lots seems to be getting done for a change. Spring just round the corner, more progress to come!! :D

Not sure how green this car will be once its done though lol, not heard good things about the MPG on the Y10 turbo. :eek:

Si

What have you done / what will you be doing to improve the handling? The Marbella my wife had was dire if you tried to push it too hard on curvey bits.

Yes agreed, the rear end gets very loose especially in the wet ( I find this out the hard way of course!).

1. Handling wise, tyres are now 185 as aposed to 135's :eek:
2. Y10 roll bar should help combat some of the boat like behaviour!!
3. Looking to get a 30-40mm drop all round with lowering blocks and assistor springs on the rear and just a set of lowering springs on the front.
4. Eventually some polycarb windows to bring down the centre of gravity atouch and generally lighten the car.

Thats all I can think of before test driving though really. But I am hopefull as just putting the wide tyres on made one hell of a difference! Nicely balanced and quite recoverable from a skid too.

Si

Can you tell me how Marbellas do against rust?

Thinking of getting my daughter a Marbella as I can find a panda that isn't rotten underneath.

I loved my MK1 panda but always thought the Marbella looked better at the front, and the interior is plush compared to early panda's.

Never understood why the Seat 903 engine only had 40hp when the Fiat had 45hp

Can you tell me how Marbellas do against rust?

Thinking of getting my daughter a Marbella as I can find a panda that isn't rotten underneath.

I loved my MK1 panda but always thought the Marbella looked better at the front, and the interior is plush compared to early panda's.

Never understood why the Seat 903 engine only had 40hp when the Fiat had 45hp

Hi, Marbella's do better than pandas for rust but they are getting old now so dont expect perfection. The sills are just as susceptable tbh, so do the usual checks there! But the bad rust around the omega arm suspension isnt an issue because they have "cart" suspension :devil:

Thinking about it, I'm not too sure why the fiat had 45 either :confused: I was thinking perhaps the panda 45 was 965 like the 4x4 but with a different cam and single choke carb. But nothing I have found out has ever suported that, so maybe fiat gave the 903 a better carb and cam??

Also, you said you owned a mk1? Few years ago I imagine? I seem to have started a mk1 4x4 santuary by accident. Was yours a 2wd or 4wd? Got any pics, I see them so rarely its nice to see some others even if they no longer exist :(

Cheers,
Si

Back