Technical Scuttle cracking

Currently reading:
Technical Scuttle cracking

babbo_umbro

Established member
I've just noticed that there are cracks radiating from the mounting of the off-side windscreen wiper pivot on our son's W-reg Seicento. It's obviously metal fatigue, which I suspect is the result of the wiper mechanism being extended for the "conversion" to right-hand drive. The car's done 144,00 miles in rainy Devon but my Cinquecento Sporting had done more miles than that when I parted with it (for panda 100HP) and I don't recall this issue. Any other sufferers? Suggested simple remedies?

I've just noticed that there are cracks radiating from the mounting of the off-side windscreen wiper pivot on our son's W-reg Seicento. It's obviously metal fatigue, which I suspect is the result of the wiper mechanism being extended for the "conversion" to right-hand drive. The car's done 144,00 miles in rainy Devon but my Cinquecento Sporting had done more miles than that when I parted with it (for panda 100HP) and I don't recall this issue. Any other sufferers? Suggested simple remedies?

Go single wiper? one of my cinquecento is like that.

What you could, is put a bigger washer under there to spread the load more

Ming

is your car import then.. ?? would of been much easier to buy the RHD wiper motor

No - but every Fiat I've had - and I've had well over a couple of dozen - has shown some signs of being "converted" from LHD - bar from brake pedal to master cylinder, clutch cable, wiper mechanism, etc. I'm sure the wiper motor stays in the same place and cranks and levers are added to to operate the right-hand wiper.

No - but every Fiat I've had - and I've had well over a couple of dozen - has shown some signs of being "converted" from LHD - bar from brake pedal to master cylinder, clutch cable, wiper mechanism, etc. I'm sure the wiper motor stays in the same place and cranks and levers are added to to operate the right-hand wiper.

the only cars that are not converted are jap cars (iirc) as they drive on the same side of the road as us... all Europe cars (other then British made) will been originally designed left hand drive

the only cars that are not converted are jap cars (iirc) as they drive on the same side of the road as us... all Europe cars (other then British made) will been originally designed left hand drive

Exactly - and possibly Australian and Indian I think.

we had the same problem, got a large disc welded to the underside at both wiper pivots, happened at 40k miles after 6 years, FIAT said "no", so we had it repaired at our local bodyshop. But make sure that the wiper linkage is striped and re-built, cause the first time this was not done and 2 weeks later the crack returned, 2years on and its fine, touch wood
!

we had the same problem, got a large disc welded to the underside at both wiper pivots, happened at 40k miles after 6 years, FIAT said "no", so we had it repaired at our local bodyshop. But make sure that the wiper linkage is striped and re-built, cause the first time this was not done and 2 weeks later the crack returned, 2years on and its fine, touch wood
!

Thanks - that's the best bet - there seems to be a weakness in the wiper arrangements on the Cinquecento and Seicento - apart from this scuttle problem, I had to un-seize the rear wiper motor on my Cinquecento Sporting and did the same on the Seicento. I spend several months each year in Italy and it does rain there sometimes....

when the crack was there, when you put the wipers on the panel moved and the wipers went all over the place, hitting each other at "park" and the OS went pass the edge of the screen.

Just keep it clean and lub'd

Back