Technical Scraping noise when turning left

Currently reading:
Technical Scraping noise when turning left

I'm trying to track down the source of a scraping noise when I turn left. A few months ago I could hear a ticking noise, after a google search highlighted the cv joint, i checked that and all seemed fine. I then forgot about it.

Recently I noticed a scraping when I turn left from the same wheel. I knew I had low brake pads, so I changed those in the hopes that it would solve the problem, but no.

I jacked the car up this morning and with it on left lock turned the wheel to see what I could hear, but there's nothing untoward. I can see no problem with anything in the wheel arch.

Any ideas what to check?

I'm trying to track down the source of a scraping noise when I turn left. A few months ago I could hear a ticking noise, after a google search highlighted the cv joint, i checked that and all seemed fine. I then forgot about it.

Recently I noticed a scraping when I turn left from the same wheel. I knew I had low brake pads, so I changed those in the hopes that it would solve the problem, but no.

I jacked the car up this morning and with it on left lock turned the wheel to see what I could hear, but there's nothing untoward. I can see no problem with anything in the wheel arch.

Any ideas what to check?
I have had customers cars make a slight scrapping noise caused by either a stone jammed behind the dust shield or the shield it's self bent and rubbing the brake disc on cornering.
Occasionally a wheel bearing can cause it.
Apart from that plastic inner wheel arch cover rubbing?

I have had customers cars make a slight scrapping noise caused by either a stone jammed behind the dust shield or the shield it's self bent and rubbing the brake disc on cornering.

I kind of checked this, but in hindsight not thoroughly enough, i'll re-check.

Occasionally a wheel bearing can cause it.

The wheel bearing came to me with one missing wheel nut and another loose. I re-threaded one of the holes to get the missing wheel nut back in. But its since cross-threaded every wheel nut, so I put another set in today. But it didn't make a difference to the scraping sound. Considering the wheel bearing has been mistreated previously it may be the issue.

Apart from that plastic inner wheel arch cover rubbing?

Its previously been repaired with cable ties but it looked to be holding. I checked the clearances on both wheels today, and didn't notice anything, i'll re-check this again though. Thanks for the reply.

I kind of checked this, but in hindsight not thoroughly enough, i'll re-check.

The wheel bearing came to me with one missing wheel nut and another loose. I re-threaded one of the holes to get the missing wheel nut back in. But its since cross-threaded every wheel nut, so I put another set in today. But it didn't make a difference to the scraping sound. Considering the wheel bearing has been mistreated previously it may be the issue.

Its previously been repaired with cable ties but it looked to be holding. I checked the clearances on both wheels today, and didn't notice anything, i'll re-check this again though. Thanks for the reply.
I did have an issue with a car with slightly higher profile tyres, that on a certain corner one tyre rubbed the plastic on the wheel arch as it was a uphill low speed corner that threw the weight on that suspension arm causing extra load/movement. The arms were fairly new, and of a good quality, however I fitted the black poly bushes and solved the problem and vehicle was nicer to drive as well.:)
Sorry I forgot to ask, do you think it is a metallic or plastic rubbing noise?

Last edited:
I did have an issue with a car with slightly higher profile tyres, that on a certain corner one tyre rubbed the plastic on the wheel arch as it was a uphill low speed corner that threw the weight on that suspension arm causing extra load/movement. The arms were fairly new, and of a good quality, however I fitted the black poly bushes and solved the problem and vehicle was nicer to drive as well.:)
Sorry I forgot to ask, do you think it is a metallic or plastic rubbing noise?
It was the shield, so all good now. The plastic wheel arch had degraded a little as well, so i gave it another cable tie, its got a collection now :)

Back