Technical Sat Nav Dashboard Socket

Currently reading:
Technical Sat Nav Dashboard Socket

Lincs500

Hello everyone - first time poster here so please be gentle!

Firstly, I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere but I have been trawling through the forum and can't find an answer so I wanted to start a new thread.

I have a 2008 500 Sport with Blue & Me. My car does not have the optional top of the dashboard socket in which the Sat Nav can be connected and I wanted to ask if there is anyway this socket can be retro-fitted?
I would much prefer a Sat Nav unit that takes it power from this socket rather than a cable running from the cigarette ligher and also would like to utilise the Blue & Me that the car already has. It seems such a shame that not all of the cars, particularly the higher spec UK models with Blue & Me as standard, had this socket fitted as a matter of course.

If anyone could answer this, I would be very grateful.
And if it turns out to be an impossible job so a separate Sat Nav unit with the traditional cigarette lighter power source is the answer, is there a recommended model that pairs best & works most efficiently with the Blue & Me?

Many thanks in advance
Stuart

Thank you bgunn.
So if the socket simply provides power to the unit, I guess in theory if I got hold of a socket, supplied it with power and fitted it into the dash, then I would be good to go?
Also, with the Fiat/Tom Tom Live service, I understand that it is free for the first year. But do you know if after the first year you can still use it but the maps would not be updated and I assume the speed camera / traffic alerts may not work?
Many thanks once more.

Thank you bgunn.
So if the socket simply provides power to the unit, I guess in theory if I got hold of a socket, supplied it with power and fitted it into the dash, then I would be good to go?
Also, with the Fiat/Tom Tom Live service, I understand that it is free for the first year. But do you know if after the first year you can still use it but the maps would not be updated and I assume the speed camera / traffic alerts may not work?
Many thanks once more.

The first 12 months is free when you buy the TomTom Blue&Me unit, the Live services used to be £49 a year after the first year, but have recently been reduced to £27 a year which is good value really. If you hunt around you can also get deals on the annual map updates as well.

And yes the TomTom Blue & Me does work fine without the socket all the data is sent by Bluetooth and the socket only sends power to the unit, I would be surprised if the supply was not there below the dash on all models so if you can source a socket it should be possible to mount it,

As someone who uses it a lot, I find it very useful and not having power leads all over the car really helps my OCD :D

This may help, it shows a cable number 12 on the diagram.

4E81ADF2A6E284D56BDEDD57372F0B5D.png

from here
http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...a=X&ei=bELSUKblO4qM0wWQgYGQBw&ved=0CGAQ7gEwBA

I did a bit of hunting and found someone on a german forum has done it.
Post 8 on this link copied below
http://www.500club.de/forum/car-hifi-multimedia/1529-navi-port-nachruesten.html

Soooooo friends ..

As well actually no wires are under the dash, but I'll have to pull stripping! It has been in production probably actually saved the harness, PITY ..

Now I'll have a power from the cigarette lighter in the center console steal, here is under key, PERFECT ..

Today we went to the first "set" of the bush.

Step 1:

Drill the hole and socket fit ..

Had previously worn a mask the outside dimensions of the socket and then transferred onto A-board with pencil ..
With NEM 8-drill holes in the marked part ringsrum drilled and subsequently at the prevailing "perforation" broken out by sharp cutter knife and file made ​​the fit and pass the sample with the NaviPort .. here and there some small rework and "FITS" .. the part goes "Suction" in the hole and locks below the retaining lugs .. later when the cables are connected, the port is under the dash nor shed with 2-component adhesive ..

Have intentionally omitted on the Dremel! The mess you get later never get out of the cart!
With a file, you can edit the beautiful curves and perfect with the cutter, the smooth surfaces, the material of the dashboard is really soft! This can edit one already, so anything later is still shaking the bush reinforced from below, and as already written, shed clean from below ..

On the whole, I am satisfied so far, think it looks as it should be

All that remains is establishes the right Navi!

've Decided on a TomTom 750, because the with the silver bezel sooooo good accent to the interior and the parts fit ... now just grab something cheap on the bay and organize the appropriate holder ....

Then we continue!

Greeting Manu

Hello everyone - first time poster here so please be gentle!

Firstly, I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere but I have been trawling through the forum and can't find an answer so I wanted to start a new thread.

I have a 2008 500 Sport with Blue & Me. My car does not have the optional top of the dashboard socket in which the Sat Nav can be connected and I wanted to ask if there is anyway this socket can be retro-fitted?
I would much prefer a Sat Nav unit that takes it power from this socket rather than a cable running from the cigarette ligher and also would like to utilise the Blue & Me that the car already has. It seems such a shame that not all of the cars, particularly the higher spec UK models with Blue & Me as standard, had this socket fitted as a matter of course.

If anyone could answer this, I would be very grateful.
And if it turns out to be an impossible job so a separate Sat Nav unit with the traditional cigarette lighter power source is the answer, is there a recommended model that pairs best & works most efficiently with the Blue & Me?

Many thanks in advance
Stuart

The B&Me Tom Tom Live 2 will not pair with the B&Me since your particular model 500 is too old. If it had the AUX input down by the USB then it most likely would.
There is an older B&Me Tom Tom unit but I would NOT recommend it since the Live 2 is much better plus the older TT unit didn't have the LIVE service.
There is no SAT NAV model that I know of that would integrate with the B&Me of a 2008 500.
The B&Me TT Live 2 model is a copy of the Tom Tom Go LIVE 1000 model and this will fit into the cradle that fits in the 68R option port. This cradle costs around £45 when bought seperately.

Today I went to buy a Go Live 1000 model in Halfords which are now reduced to €169 but unfortunately only ex display models were available - these did not qualify for the life time map updates and since they had been switched on the LIVE feature will be expiring in the next month or so :(. Plus these models will not qualify for the lifetime map offer but it was suggested that I could email TT if I wished to pursue it - unlikely.
The manager of the store has adapted a 'wait and see' approach and does not plan to reduce them any further. He expects that they will be recalled and they may get a full refund from Tom Tom since the model in now discountinued. I would expect that the B&Me TT Live 2 may follow suit.
Before you get hooked on the Tom Tom maybe consider getting one of the new Garmins if the Traffic updates are not high on your list. At least with the Garmin you don't have to pay for them (TT is better though and gives an accurate ETA) + it should be possible to source a life time map update from Garmin. The Tom Tom life time map update offer expires on the 24th Dec 2012.

Thank you for all of your help & comments everyone, much appreciated especially rui with the example of someone having done this. I too saw the socket on ebay which I may well go for scout500.

I agree with you flashyphotos that a lack of cables does help the OCD and for me, will win over the performance of the unit itself within reason!

Loveshandbags, are you saying then that with the B&M on a 500, even the older Tom Tom that you mention is not compatable? So I am assuming from this that a dashboard socket would therefore never have been fitted to a 2008 model or am I not understanding you correctly?

Thank you

There is an older B&Me Tom Tom unit but I would NOT recommend it since the Live 2 is much better plus the older TT unit didn't have the LIVE service.

I would argue that the first incarnation of the B&M Tom Tom is fine - I have one. Yes, you don't get the posh screen and LIVE services, but tbh, it's a waste of money. You just need to buy a map subscription and update the device regularly.

Arguably, if you can find a NOS one, or a second hand one for a discount, it'd be a good buy. I feel no need to replace mine with the later unit. It won't pair, but will still function perfectly well as a sat nav device.

So bgunn, will the first incarnation of the B&M Tom Tom that you have pair with B&M that I have and does it fit into the dashboard socket and if so, do you have a model number so that I can look out for one?
Cheers

Thank you for all of your help & comments everyone, much appreciated especially rui with the example of someone having done this. I too saw the socket on ebay which I may well go for scout500.

I agree with you flashyphotos that a lack of cables does help the OCD and for me, will win over the performance of the unit itself within reason!

Loveshandbags, are you saying then that with the B&M on a 500, even the older Tom Tom that you mention is not compatable? So I am assuming from this that a dashboard socket would therefore never have been fitted to a 2008 model or am I not understanding you correctly?

Thank you

The older B&Me TT unit will work with the B&Me in the '08 500 as already mentioned by Bgunn (realise that I wasn't clear on the previous post) but the new one which is called the B&Me TT Live 2 will not work.

I bought a B&Me TT Live 2 for a '09 MiTo with the 68R option port and it wouldn't work and from the research that I did it might have worked if I got the B&Me ECU (€300 :() changed but another source said that it may also need the ECU to be changed (€? :eek:). So I use the B&M TT Live 2 as a GO Live 1000 so in essence it's overkill. Now that I'm in the market for a 2nd Sat Nav I wouldn't buy the same unit again since I can't use the functionality of the B&Me in the TT Live 2.

I did look at the older TT unit but the lack of Traffic updates detracts from the unit but once you have the slicker unit it's hard to go back to an older unit. With the Traffic updates it suggests way of avoiding getting delayed and gives you suggested alternatives. This feature is not on the older B&Me TT unit so it wouldn't interest me.

There has been some criticism of the positioning of the TT unit socket in the 500 which is placed in the same area as the Turbo gauge of the A500. On the MiTo it's in the center which is better so that it's not stuck in your face. Some prefer to have the sat nav tucked away beside the pillar so that it does not detract from the view out of the windscreen.

I wouldn't mind paying the reduced Traffic updates subscription of c.£30 p.a. but I would have a problem with paying €79 for a yearly map update. Lifetime map updates would be a must for me unless you have a way of writing it off as a business expense.

I would question putting a hole in the dash for a discounted model that will not integrate with B&Me unless you opt for the older TT unit. Also the cradle for this unit is different to the new one. If you were getting one it would have to be cheap and for me as a Sat Nav is would not be suitable without the Traffic updates. The only plus is the interface for the music and the lack of wires (which can be hidden if you mount it on the pillar side).

This might explain the recommendation of a new 'thinner' Garmin with the fluid like screen, life time updates and the free traffic updates. They can be put in your pocket on a 'walk about' unlike the clunky TT units.:devil: This can be useful if you are abroad and you don't want roaming charges on a smart phone.

P.S. With the LIVE services you also have a Google search - this is really useful. Plug in the name of the company and it brings you straight there. No having to look up their address plus it also gives you their contact numbers in the very unlikely event of getting lost. There is also voice dictation on the address but not on the Google search. The newer Sat Nav apps for the iphone / android have this feature.

Last edited:
Thanks Loveshandbags, I didn't realise the newer Live 2 would not pair with the older system, "Live and learn"

As an aside the GO 1000 on which the B&M Live 2 is based has now been officially discontinued by TomTom, so it will be interesting to see if there is going to be a "Live 3" soon to replace it or if they are diverting old stock to keep the Live 2 in action

I did notice after the last map update my Live 2 only had 3.1mb of Memory left out of 4Gb and as the maps seem to get bigger every update I wonder if the next update will fit on the device.

As for map updates they can be had cheaply there is a 2 Year Map update card you can buy for £19.99 only works with a freshly purchased device the card has to be activated on a TomTom less than 90 days old, but at £20 for 8 updates over 2 years works out a very reasonable way of keeping the thing fresh.

Personally I am keeping my Live 2 till the end of my 2 year updates (18 Months to go), and will stump up the £27 for a second year of traffic, after that I will be looking for an alternative solution, as the Live 2 will be very behind the times by then, as long as whatever I get can be charged from the dash socket my OCD and I will be happy.

Thanks everyone, lots to ponder & think about over Christmas and any other insights will of course be welcome.

When I was looking for my 500, I wanted a multijet Sport model ideally with the full leather option, an opening roof, climate and the Satnav port and I managed the first 3 so I shouldn't really complain, it's a lovely little thing!

Thanks all

I'm not even sure the Tom Tom 1 would pair. The older b&m system works with a non-Tom Tom unit. I think it was a navteq or navman unit or something and pretty much no one liked it.

I must be in minority here - I only have a cheap Garmin with tiny screen and no alerts with the same maps it came with (2008) :eek: Anyway, I usually drive locally(ish) and know where they put new junctions etc, it works for me and I rarely get lost (ask me about getting stuck in the rainwater swelled brook next time :D)

Yeah, rings a bell. I use the sat nah on my lumia 800 and have never had any problems. Tbh I dont see the point in a dedicated sat nah when phone sat navs are so great these days.

Tend to agree. I'm finding the new google maps app for the iphone pretty much spot on.

Nice UI, and the voice guidance works through the bluetooth (by fooling the B&M unit into thinking they're phone calls).

I might hack together a cradle that plugs into my sat nav port and charges the iphone - would be perfect.

Back