General Round Nose or MK2

Currently reading:
General Round Nose or MK2

We need to get rid of a multi and are in a dilemma. Would appreciate thoughts. Daughter has bought a fiesta and we need drive space.

I bought a lowish milage mk2 black 2010 diesel last year. It has 61k miles, new clutch, cam belt and is A1. It has rear spoiler, skirts and nice 17 inch alloys. Not keen on looks on most MK2s but this is better. But it has no sunroofs and it has DPF filter which is a bit of worry in long term but you can delete them. It has air con but it is not as exciting for kids and me opening up the roofs.

Our main multi is red round nose with 130K. It is 2004 1.9 ELX with all the toys.It needs a bit of fettling and wa oiling on front and sills but is sound. It has had loads of work over years. Could do with some cosmetic paint here and there. We prefer her looks tough. I am expecting a clutch soon. It has had rear subframe sorted.

Money head says to me go with low miles and newer but heart is pushing me to round nose.

Clearly the answer is to get your Daughter to oust the Fiesta and drive a future classic:

Fix Or Repair Daily (FORD)
Fix It Again Tomorrow (FIAT)

On a more serious note, having owned both types, anecdotally I think the round noses have slightly better components with the exception of the interior. The double sunroof, though nice to have is also prone to leaking and motors failing. On the other hand those 17" wheels on the square nose are also susceptible to bends & buckles from potholes.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. I think the square nose is seen as just another car where as the roundnose is completely uncompromising. This can also be a benefit or not.

Thank you for points raised. We are heading for round nose.

I will give clutch hydraulics some love this weekend and see if that sorts my issue on clutch.

Agree at the risk of damage with 17 inch wheels and low profile tyres. It is pretty comfy to drive though.

Sunroofs have not been a problem in 12 years and 200 k miles of round nose ownership but I have the rubber sealing compound "captain trolley" in my garage in case ...

I have to agree with which way you're leaning - I have 2 x 2004 JTD's ELX's
Both in good running order and neither has any problems - how rare is that?
I don't think I'd ever get rid of both of them - although I'm desperate for space.

Back