Technical Rocker arm sideways play

Currently reading:
Technical Rocker arm sideways play

StefP0342

Hi!

My 1970 Fiat 500L started to run a little rough and noisy (noise is like valve clatter when clearance is incorrect) after about 2-3 minutes after startup, so I wanted to adjust the clearance to the correct settings. When adjusting the clearances, the bolts were completely worn so I had to order new ones in order to set the clearances. After I set them correctly, the engine still runs very noisy as if the clearance is too loose. I set the clearance tighter and wider, but the noise remains in both settings. I noticed that rocker 2 (counting from the flywheel side) has quite some sideways play on the rocker arm. If I move the arm in both directions quickly i hear the sound which i also hear when the engine is running. A local mechanic told me the play in the rocker arm did not matter, but I don't trust the noise when the engine is running.

Could the sideways play in the rocker arm be the cause of the noise? if so, what is the best way to fix it?

I could not really find the answer in other threads so I hope some of you have an answer.

When you touched the vane on the fan did I detect a rattle in your video? If so it is on the verge of failure.
also re heat expansion you are looking on the cooling side of the engine so that will not be a factor.
When I turn the engine the fan scrapes the bottom of the housing. The picture shows which part of the fan hits the housing. It looks absolutely terrible. I’ll replace it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Back