Technical revs go down when i use more elektricity..

Currently reading:
Technical revs go down when i use more elektricity..

hi!

I have a problem I can't figure out.

The revs of my 2.0 GT i.e. tumble down when I either put on my headlights, open my windows, put on my heater, use the windscreen wipers or lock my doors.
More so when a couple of them are used simultaniously.

The problem seems to get worse when the engine is getting warmer.

I checked the mass (on the cilinderhead), 12.7V, the same as the accu, when the engine is switched on, the accu gives a reading of 14.1V and the mass reads 13.8V

I checked the fusebox for irregularities only to find I have no relais in the E14 slot (has my mechanic forgotten to put it back after the engine rebuild 2 months ago and does it have anything to do with this..?)

can anyone please help me :(

Would the voltage go up when the engine is running while the alternator is broken? And how can I check if it's completely healthy..?

I actually don't think it's the alternator because the problem has been occuring for about 200 miles and all the electrical equipment seems to work fine, no starting problems, the digital dash and headlights don't dim when the engine gets revving problems, seems it only affects the revving of the engine..

Thats why I didn't say English is your second language ;)
Yes, I believe that it is the ground, or earth, that you are talking about.

Me and my basic grasp of electrics have been exhausted by your problem sorry, hopefully someone who can help you will be along soon

i couldn't tell you what it is but every car i have ever been in is the same, you start using something electrical and your revs drop a little. i would maybe try a new battery or even top the battery up with water if possible first if its coursing problems, it maybe that you have alot of dead cells in the battery and its not giving a good charge out.

thnx for trying ;)

Just another guess...
Can I suppose that revs go down on idle, correct (900 RPM)?
If so, there is a valve that controls the idle depending of the engine load, the VAE.
Clean, replace or check that one - on 99% of cases of unstable idle that valve is the culprit.

See this link about Lancia engines (same as yours) just at the page bottom:
http://home.clara.co.uk/montemike/delta/del-buy.html

first check would be a multi-meter on the battery with the engine off,then running,then with the various equipment switched on.

That's what i started with, battery 12,7V which is very healthy according to my workshop manual, the batterycheck on the battery itself says the same thing.
engine off: 12.7V
engine running: 14.1V
various equipment on: 13.1V

i'm puzzled :confused:

It's not only on idle unfortunately.. It also happens when I'm doing 130km/h (3500rpm) on the motorway and use my windscreen wipers while the headlights are on.

bit off topic, but 3500 at 80mphish, mine is 3500 at 70mphish. got to be a lot better on fuel!

alternators do tend to be give more resistance when being used more. though it shouldn't really be noticeable when driving along?

Recheck all under hood earth (ground) or negative wire contact, not only the engine ground strap.
Check also all fusebox connections hidden behind the box, you must unlock its hinges to have access to all.
Unplug and replug one by one (disconnect the negative battery cable first) looking for signs of humidity and/or rust on each fusebox male terminals.
Basically 96% of electrical connections pass through this box so a loose connection there can do strange things.

BTW, E4 relay is for optional front fog lamps and E14 is the electric door lock control relay.
Are you sure that this last one is missing?

It all sounds healthy. Altenator is giving out more than 12V even on load, and not over-charging with no load.

When you use electricity the altenator will attempt to charge the battery back - this puts load on the engine and the revs will drop a little.

Back