General Restore :(

Currently reading:
General Restore :(

NebulaStilo

Hi guys,

So sad news!! My fiat front burnt out and I have no clue what happened. Everything was good, I still washed the car(his last wash) and checked oil and water etc and fetched my partner who's car it is. In the parking is where the car caught alight. All was good.

Any way, I'm really really really really sad about our baby that we put so much love into and care and he took us all over without issues. I can't even look at him standing in my yard, it's like he's crying for help. He burn the motor, hood, frame and stiffener is still in place. Solid. Perhaps some work on it. Interior seats wasn't touched but soot and smell. Dash got hot so piece melted. Steering all in tact. Brake lines especially front, gone.

Many people tell me to just give it to the scrap yard and let them squash it and give you money for it. That makes me hurt from the inside out to even think they going to squash our baby. The car that serviced me and my partner for years, almost like he is saying "you giving up on me".

Its far fetched but my partner has made a long and costly and tough decision that will take years, he wants to restore him. Not to a stilo neccasarily, but build it up again from the bottom up, drop a bravo motor in once body completed. I read somewhere that the ALFA Gulietta chassis is based on the stilo?

So basically he wants to rebuild from the bottom into something, whatever it is. Keep it as a project.

Just want to know if this was done already? We obviously need to do this properly, no shortcuts,so we must take it to pros. Perhaps rebuild his chassis etc.
I've seen people build project cars from a frame to a driving car.

I think this is where people are misunderstanding him, they think he wants to keep and restore the car to original , but he wants to actually keep it as a project car and then drive it as he feels. But we will get another daily driver.

Please advise on ideas etc.

Thank you!

I'm sure somebody has managed to stuff a 5-cylinder Coupe engine into a Stilo... 🤓 If you have Coupe's in ZA you might be able to find a breaker for the engine, front suspension and electronics. If it's a Turbo then so much the better.. you won't need to do anything too tricky except transplant the motor, to get quite a massive performance increase.

Rear suspension will be interesting.. since the Stilo has a beam, whereas Coupe is a bit more sophisticated, although I don't think it had wishbones (that would be the related Alfa GTV). Anyhow, if you find a good but broken Coupe, you will be able to take parts off one, and see whether they fit onto the other. If you can't find a Coupe 20v turbo... then there's always the v6 out of the Alfa GTV.

The Giulietta is more based on the Bravo than the Stilo.. so Bravo parts are more likely to fit onto the Stilo than Giulietta parts.

Ralf S.

Back