General Residual Values

Currently reading:
General Residual Values

Just looking at values of used 500's to compare mine with and found that there are a hell of a lot of near new cars floating about at the moment.

Motorpoint for instance have 13 twinair plus' at either £9799 or £9999. most around 6 months old, 12 reg. Another 14 TA lounge similar price, £1k cheaper for 1.2

I know this thread is a month old now, but based on the prices above, I think £8,500 was probably a very good part ex offer on Robnw67's car

It's quite interesting to see quite a few new Panda with delivery mileage too.

Just looking at values of used 500's to compare mine with and found that there are a hell of a lot of near new cars floating about at the moment.

Motorpoint for instance have 13 twinair plus' at either £9799 or £9999. most around 6 months old, 12 reg. Another 14 TA lounge similar price, £1k cheaper for 1.2

I know this thread is a month old now, but based on the prices above, I think £8,500 was probably a very good part ex offer on Robnw67's car

It's quite interesting to see quite a few new Panda with delivery mileage too.

It wouldn't surprise me to see £2k+ discounts off the price of new 500's by the end of 2013, with residuals on 3yr cars falling back below 50%.

It wouldn't surprise me to see £2k+ discounts off the price of new 500's by the end of 2013, with residuals on 3yr cars falling back below 50%.

I'd agree with you there unless they slow production dramatically. I doubt it though. It's a numbers game so they'll probably just carry on and sell them pre-reg or ex management to motorpoint etc.

So suddenly the supply of people willing to pay over the odds for 500's has dried up has it? There are still plenty of idiots happy to be separated from their cash, don't worry :)

I have said it before and I will say it again . Buying an expensive little town car and adding a load of extras trying to turn it into something it isn't is a recipe for disaster.

£12,13,14,15k for a small car is insane.

The depreciation figure was probably the salesman thinking it was too much hassle. A customer that wants to change after 5mths is gona be a pain in another 5 mths. Then you have the fact that a 5 mth lounge needs to be on the forecourt at no more than you can get a brand new pop for including offers you are looking at about £9k. That's bringing it close to the figure they mentioned.

I bet you c old get more for it by shopping around but I wouldn't be banking on £8k after 3 yrs

I agree with you to some extent in the particular context of the 500, on the basis that it's over-priced to start with. However, more generally, some of the extras are good value, especially if they make the car into what you want.

More generally again, why would paying 15k be insane for a small car? There are far too many far too big cars on the roads - and in car parks, where many of the latest monsters won't fit into a single decent-sized parking bay, even if the driver was half-way competent. As long as size of car is associated with prestige - for whatever that's worth - people will expect to buy a bigger car for more money, when a really well-engineered small car - Panda to Punto size - could provide everything that the vast majority of motorists want or need while saving natural resources from the time it starts along a production line.

I have just ordered a new 500c and don't consider myself an "idiot happy to be separated from their cash". What I am is someone that wants a car built, in some way, to fit what I want it for. I have bought second hand cars in the past then spent shed loads of money making it what I want only to sell it later at a massive loss. We (my wife and I) intend to keep this car for a minimum of 6 years and so consider paying the slightly inflated price as something we are willing to do for the peace of mind of knowing the FULL history of the car

Current car Hyundai Coupe 2.7V6
Cost @ 5 years old £4500
Cost of maintanence and modifications during 3 years of ownership £5500
Value as a trade in £1000-£1300 (depending on where you go)

so in three years I have 'lost' £9000 on a £4500 car. :eek:

The new car is not looking so bad now (y)

I was referring to the people who pay nearly list price for used cars.

We bought our 500 new, but it was on scrappage.

I was referring to the people who pay nearly list price for used cars.

We bought our 500 new, but it was on scrappage.

Ah yes, happy days they were.

T'was this that allowed me to show a 75% "residual" over 3 years when I was having a look at the new swift sport back in the summer (offered £6k trade in without negotiation, paid a little over £8k when I bought the 500 with scrappage...)

Our first 500 (a 1.2 Lounge with minimal extras) was bought on scrappage for £8270 + a car worth £450 - so a total of £8720. It was traded in for £7000 at 2 years 10 months old and 20K miles for a new 500 Lounge with an RRP of £12700 inc extras (paint / leather wheels / etc). We then got a £750 discount for buying on the I-deal at 0% finance (a no brainer there) so effectively the car cost £5000 to change. If after 3 years this car is worth only 50% of the RRP it will still be worth £6350 and our total depreciation over 6 years will be £6350 + £1720 = £8070 or £112 per month (or £25.80 per week) - which I don't think is too bad for having owned a car which is under warranty for 6 years. Plus we skipped a service which had been due when changing in the 1st car and effectively switched new for old on both tyres brakes and pads. We also gained a years free road-tax and AA cover into the bargain and won't have had to shell out for 3 MOT's in the six year period so another saving of £135.00.

I disagree that spending £13K plus on a small car is a recipe for disaster as a previous poster has indicated. There are plenty of larger cars available at these kind of prices that are going to depreciate just as quickly, cost far more to run, tax and insure and not put a smile on your face in the process.

If everything is bought down to mere basics in terms of cost and functionality the world would be a very dull place and we may as well all just sit down to Tesco's Value beans for Christmas Lunch!

Just take Christmas Cheer from the fact that no matter how much you paid for your 500 you will not be taking the Depreciation hit those poor souls that purchased a Chrysler Sebring are taking

2009 Reg Models that cost Between £18k and £20k have settled at around £4000. Now that's a 3 year hit.. :eek:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212074538050/sort/default/usedcars/model/sebring/make/chrysler/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/quicksearch/true/postcode/ng172hh/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

Last edited:
Just take Christmas Cheer from the fact that no matter how much you paid for your 500 you will not be taking the Depreciation hit those poor souls that purchased a Chrysler Sebring are taking

2009 Reg Models that cost Between £18k and £20k have settled at around £4000. Now that's a 3 year hit.. :eek:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212074538050/sort/default/usedcars/model/sebring/make/chrysler/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/quicksearch/true/postcode/ng172hh/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

Not to mention the shame and embarrassment of having had to drive around in one for 3 years;)

I hired a Mustang convertible (or similar) the last time I was in America.
Guess what I got? the (or similar) and that was a Chrysler Sebring convertible.
3 weeks of the worst car I have ever driven.

Back